Job Title: Procurement Associate
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 49043
Procurement Services – A department within the Finance and Administration DivisionEqual Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be accessed at: https://hr.fsu.edu/sites/g/files/upcbnu2186/files/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf.
Procurement Services seeks applications for the position of Procurement Associate. Analyzes and edits material requests such as identifying suppliers and review of requisitions for accuracy, specifications for quoting or bidding, use of preferred suppliers and compliance with university policies, regulations, state and federal law, and best practices. Evaluates suppliers to determine ability to fill orders in a timely manner and recommend substitution for better pricing and/or terms or based on needs and best interest of the University. Monitors State Term and Cooperative contracts for purchase requests. Processes requisitions to purchase order or work order requests timely, including change orders.
This position will be responsible for performing procurement functions for low dollar assigned commodities and/or services using the Jaggaer “SpearMart” system to process requisitions to purchase orders including change orders. Other procurement functions including analyzing requisitions, identification of suppliers, review of requisitions for accuracy, quoting, bidding, use of preferred suppliers, processing work order requests and compliance with university policies, regulations, state and federal laws, and best practices.
Assists in identifying opportunities for contracts and makes recommendations for strategically sourced contract opportunities to Strategic Category Managers. Confers with departments on current and future requirements and recommends appropriate acquisition methods. Works closely with University staff to develop scope of work, specifications, and other solicitation documents. Works with departments and supplier stakeholders on use of the sourcing system. Routine use of reference databases. Extracts and complies a narrow range of data from sources, from individuals by asking questions, or from one or several given data bases, limited interpretation of data. Posts competitive solicitations for award and executes subsequent purchase orders.
Composes general correspondence and written material. Assist in resolving problems associated with the receipt or return of materials or invoices not matching the purchase order (i.e. wrong material received, damaged goods, pricing, etc.). Serves as back-up for other procurement positions in their absence. Assists in user testing of new releases and/or upgrades to Procurement Services systems.
Keep abreast of issues and changes in the procurement field by attending professional meetings, participating in procurement related organizations. Develop skills by participating in activities such as taking business seminars and classes. Maintain a working knowledge of applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations as well as internal policies or procedures to ensure behavior exhibited represents the highest level of integrity, honesty, and transparency. Support the University’s Small, Minority, Veteran and Women Owned Business Enterprise (SMV/WBE) program. Collaborate effectively across different organizational levels, functions, businesses, and geographies to realize procurement goals and objectives. Support Procurement Management in the attainment of organizational goals and furtherance of the FSU mission.Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalency and two years of experience or a combination of post high school education and experience equal to two years. Note: Higher education can substitute for experience at the equivalent rate.
- Hands on experience and demonstrated performance in using software and computer programs that will assist in procurement such as web-based applications and an intermediate knowledge of MS Office.
- Ability to clearly articulate point of view orally and in writing; ability to grasp quickly business objectives and strategies and how service offerings support the attainment of those objectives.
- High level of commitment to customer service and teamwork using diplomacy.
- Possesses a strong customer focus as demonstrated by flexible and enthusiastic approach to work assignments and new learning opportunities.
- Ability to communicate effectively with management, ability to act in a self-confident manner, ability to produce a high degree of accuracy in work, ability to exercise sound judgement and discretion in handling confidential information.
- Demonstrated ability to work on concurrent tasks in a fast-paced environment while effectively prioritizing and coordinating work assignments, and willingness and ability to establish and maintain effective and cordial relationships at all organizational levels.
- Prefer candidates who have proven track records in analytical and prioritization skills; exceptionally strong written/verbal communication skills; proven track record of results versus commitments; demonstrated ability to work independently and produce results with minimum direction (resolve 80% of issues without escalation); the ability to exercise creative and critical thinking in evaluating situations and developing solutions; to use internal and external resources to independently develop solutions considering customer’s capabilities and limitations; to facilitate stakeholder sessions to achieve consensus and collaboration; to synthesize information into succinct, concise and logical summaries and reports.
- Working knowledge of business, accounting, or commercial procedures.
- Demonstrated sourcing skills including solicitations (quotations and bids) and most importantly the ability to plan and organize.
- Experience in purchasing procedures in a higher education institution.
- Proficiency in the use of various computerized systems and software applications used in FSU Procurement such as Jaggaer, PeopleSoft, Gordian Job Order System.
- Ability to develop a thorough understanding of Procurement in the FSU System and a demonstrated ability to effectively use the system. Proficient in the application of PeopleSoft Financials (Oracle), Jaggaer electronic requisitioning and sourcing and RFX tools.
- Experience in performing purchasing functions for facilities commodities and/or services using department work management system, Asset Works (AiM), and analyzing material requests for the appropriate purchasing action.
- Experience with processing requisitions to purchase orders. Experience with processing requests for quotations and invitations to bid along with analyzing responses to make award decision.
- Nationally recognized professional procurement certification such as CPM, CPSM, CPPB, CPPB, or CPPO.
One of the nation's elite research universities, Florida State University preserves, expands, and disseminates knowledge in the sciences, technology, arts, humanities, and professions, while embracing a philosophy of learning strongly rooted in the traditions of the liberal arts and critical thinking. Founded in 1851, Florida State University is the oldest continuous site of higher education in Florida. FSU is a community steeped in tradition that fosters research, encourages creativity, and embraces diversity. At FSU, there’s the excitement of being part of a vibrant academic and professional community, surrounded by people whose ideas are shaping tomorrow’s news!
Learn more about our university and campuses.
The anticipated annual salary range is low $30,000s. Actual salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.Pay Plan
This is an USPS (University Support Personnel System) position.FSU Total Rewards
FSU offers a robust Total Rewards package. Visit our website to learn more about our Compensation, Benefits, Wellness, Recognition, and Employee Development programs.
Use our interactive tool to calculate Total Compensation options based on potential salary, benefits and retirement contributions, earned leave, and other employment-related perks.
If not otherwise specified, schedule is Monday-Friday, 8:00 am-5:00 pm.Criminal Background Check
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check. The background check will be conducted as authorized and in accordance with University Policy 4-OP-C-7-B11.Financial Disclosure
This position requires annual Financial Disclosure based on Florida Statutes 112.3144 and 112.3145. Additional information regarding Financial Disclosure requirements can be found on the Florida Commission of Ethics website.How To Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history up to ten years, and education details even if attaching a resume.
Certain service members and veterans, and the spouses and family members of the service members and veterans, will receive preference and priority in employment and are encouraged to apply for the positions being filled. For information on who may be eligible for Veterans' Preference, click here or call FSU Human Resources at (850) 644-6034.
IMPORTANT: In order to claim Veterans' Preference, applicants must upload a DD-214 (and other documentation, as applicable) with their online application prior to the closing date of the job opening.Tobacco Free Campus
Effective January 1, 2014, tobacco use, including simulated tobacco use, is prohibited on property, interior and exterior, owned or managed by Florida State University. This policy applies to all Florida State University students, employees, consultants, contractors, visitors, and external individuals.