Job Title: Accounting Specialist
Location: Sarasota, FL
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 48920
The John & Mable Ringling Museum of Art is located in Sarasota, Florida. Want to learn more about The Ringling?
The Ringling is an Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Action employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. As such, we are always seeking individuals dedicated to innovation and excellence. A successful candidate will work effectively, respectfully, and collaboratively in a diverse, multicultural, and inclusive setting. We especially encourage applications by individuals from underrepresented groups, with a demonstrated commitment to a culturally and intellectually diverse workplace.
Should you require accommodations for the application or interview processes, please email [email protected] or call 941-359-5700 (ext. 1-2605).
Learn more about our commitment to Diversity and Inclusion:
- FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement
- FSU Diversity & Inclusion Statement
- FSU Strategic Plan
- Ringling Strategic Plan
- Ringling Equity Statement
The Accounting Specialist is responsible for accurate preparation of financial reports and reconciliation of accounting data for the Ringling Museum of Art. Typical responsibilities include:
- Posts journal entries, including feeds from FSU’s OMNI system and Tessitura revenue batches into Financial Edge, and accounts payable entries. May create correcting journal entries. Responsible for completing monthly/yearly bank and G/L reconciliations to ensure financial statements are accurate. Prepares other financial schedules as assigned. May enter coding information in OMNI.
- Prepares all account reconciliations for department ledgers in OMNI and Ringling Accounts in Financial Edge. As part of the reconciliation process, assists with monitoring of the department's financial transactions such as requisitions, purchases orders, travel authorizations, and expense reports. Notifies the department of any discrepancies that are noted and prepares correcting journal entries. Obtains required approval signatures.
- Monitors and reviews FSU and Ringling Foundation P-card Purchases. As the FSU P-card proxy, enters coding information in OMNI and prepares monthly reconciliations, obtaining required approval signatures. May review Ringling Foundation travel expenses.
- Ensures sound environment of internal controls and compliance by monitoring and reviewing policies on an ongoing basis. Performs periodic fiscal audits of departmental staff products to ensure internal controls are adequate and to ensure compliance with University policies and procedures. Makes recommendations to the Assistant Director of Budget and Finance and Senior Accounting Specialist in the development of departmental policies to improve internal control procedures and ensure compliance with the University policies and procedures. Serves as back-up for preparing Ringling financial statements.
- Serves as back-up for others in the Accounting department for any necessary budgetary functions and other fiscal related duties as needed. Provides reconciliations to auditors upon request.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field and two years of experience or a high school diploma/equivalency and six years of related experience. Note: Higher education can substitute for experience at the equivalent rate.
- Knowledge of the concepts, principles, and practices of accounting and preparation of financial reports.
- Ability to review and reconcile financial data for accuracy, completeness, and compliance.
- Knowledge of and the ability to apply Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of fiscal control systems.
- Experience with OMNI (Oracle-PeopleSoft) and/or Financial Edge.
- Experience working in non-profit and/or governmental accounting.
- Experience in public accounting.
For more information, or for technical assistance, please contact Ringling Human Resources at 941-359-5700 ext. 2605 or [email protected].University Information
One of the nation's elite research universities, Florida State University preserves, expands, and disseminates knowledge in the sciences, technology, arts, humanities, and professions, while embracing a philosophy of learning strongly rooted in the traditions of the liberal arts and critical thinking. Founded in 1851, Florida State University is the oldest continuous site of higher education in Florida. FSU is a community steeped in tradition that fosters research, encourages creativity, and embraces diversity. At FSU, there’s the excitement of being part of a vibrant academic and professional community, surrounded by people whose ideas are shaping tomorrow’s news!
Learn more about our university and campuses.
The anticipated rate of pay will be up to $45,000 based on the education, skills, and experience of the selected candidate. Learn more about our benefits under the "FSU Total Rewards" section.Pay Plan
This is an A&P (Administrative and Professional) position.FSU Total Rewards
FSU offers a robust Total Rewards package. Visit our website to learn more about our Compensation, Benefits, Wellness, Recognition, and Employee Development programs.
Use our interactive tool to calculate Total Compensation options based on potential salary, benefits and retirement contributions, earned leave, and other employment-related perks.
This position is time-limited based on soft money funding, with renewal contingent upon available funds and the needs of the University.Schedule
The primary working hours for this position are Monday through Friday between 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, with a one hour meal period.Criminal Background Check
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check, to include fingerprinting. The background check will be conducted as authorized and in accordance with University Policy 4-OP-C-7-B11.How To Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history up to ten years, and education details even if attaching a resume.
If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service.