UNT System Overview:
Welcome to the University of North Texas System, or UNT World as we like to call ourselves. UNT World includes the University of North Texas in Denton, the University of North Texas at Dallas and the University of North Texas Health Science Center in Fort Worth. We are the only university system based exclusively in the robust Dallas-Fort Worth region and we are committed to transforming lives and creating economic opportunity through education. We are growing with the DFW region, enrolling a record 47,000+ students across our system and awarding nearly 12,000 degrees each year.Posting Title:
DentonFull Time/Part Time:
The Grounds group within the Facilities Maintenance Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Lead Groundskeeper to join our team.
The Maintenance division consists of seven Departments: Custodial Services, Grounds Department, Electrical Maintenance, Utilities Maintenance, Structural Maintenance, Construction Services, and Auxiliary Services. For additional information on the Facilities Maintenance department you may visit our website at: https://facilities.unt.edu/about/maintenance
The Facilities Maintenance Department supports the academic, research, housing, and dining facility needs for the University of North Texas while providing responsible stewardship and efficient operation of the University’s physical assets. The Facilities Maintenance team performs routine and preventative maintenance and repairs of the campus buildings and utility infrastructure. Grounds services provides an aesthetically pleasing environment for University faculty, staff, students, and visitors by maintaining all campus turf, landscapes, irrigation system, litter control, solid waste management and recycling. Facilities Maintenance maintains, repairs, constructs, and renovates University facilities and installed systems in accordance with applicable codes and regulations, and in conformance with University policies and standards.
As one of the nation’s largest public universities and the most comprehensive in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, we are dedicated to providing an excellent educational experience to a diverse student body of approximately 38,000 students. UNT is a student-focused Tier One Public Research University with 12 colleges and schools offering 101 bachelors, 82 masters, and 38 doctoral degree programs, many nationally and internationally recognized. With more than 400 student organizations, NCAA Division I athletics and an array of concerts presented by our world-renowned College of Music, there’s something for everyone at UNT. UNT has been named by Forbes as one of America’s 100 Best College Buys® for 21 consecutive years, the state’s most affordable research university, according to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, and The Princeton Review named us a “Best in the West” university. Livability.com named Denton the 9th Best College Town in the nation.
The Facilities organization at UNT is a service provider comprised of the following divisions FPDC; Facilities Maintenance (FM) and Facilities Support & Services (FSS). We are responsible for the planning, renovation, maintenance and repair of university buildings and facilities, as well as other services playing an essential role to the mission of the University of North Texas. Facilities has over 325 employees who lead the way in caring for and operating over 170 facilities and 904 acres of landscape. Our goal is to provide world-class support for the University by ensuring safe, reliable, efficient facility and utility services delivered with outstanding customer services and effective stewardship of resources and the environment. For additional information on Facilities, you may visit our website at: https://facilities.unt.edu/about/maintenance . University of North Texas Career Bands are located on the Human Resources website at: www.hr.unt.edu under the subtitle of Pay Plan.Position Overview:
The Facilities Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Lead Groundskeeper to join our team. Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to: This position works under the direction of the Grounds Supervisor to apply herbicides, pesticides, and fertilizers to the campus grounds and sports fields, and works alone or with a crew maintaining campus landscape grounds.
- Operates and performs preventative maintenance on grounds and sports fields using equipment such as tractors, spreaders, aerators, sprayers, and other landscape related equipment
- Assists with troubleshooting plant health care issues
- Assists with agronomy product inventory management and storage in accordance with TDA guidelines and regulations
- Responsible for daily record-keeping of agronomy applications in compliance with TDA requirements
- Participates in inclement weather cleanup including snow, ice, storm events
- Takes proactive measures in addressing problem areas, including creating and keeping a schedule, asking for assistance from other teams, and reporting to Crew Leader, Supervisors, or Managers.
- Ensures that all required paperwork is completed in a timely manner, including labor reports, daily completion reports, mileage forms, and others as required.
- Leads crews or projects as assigned.
- Helps Crew Leader ensure that crew members properly follows all break times, lunch times, and work schedules.
- Helps train and supervise new and inexperienced crew members including students.
- Works with crew to ensure all assigned areas and tasks are completed properly and according to the schedule.
- Assists crew leader to ensure all safety and proper horticultural practices are followed.
- Participates in mowing, trimming, edging, hand weeding, digging, planting, pruning, trash detail, and all other mow and landscape related tasks.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position is considered to be essential personnel, and may require working overtime, which could include nights and weekends as needed.
Three years of related experience or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to apply mathematical concepts to complete tasks (example: measuring and mixing chemicals).
• Considerable knowledge of the practices, tools, materials, and machines used in grounds maintenance operations.
• Ability to monitor tasks of others and ensure completion of work.
• Ability to work outdoors in all kinds of weather.
• Knowledge of safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed.
• May operate heavy machinery.
-Possess a TDA Certified Applicator license
-One year of experience safely mixing and
-One year experience using pesticide and
fertilizer application equipment
-Ability to identify local plant species
Possession of a valid Texas driver’s license or ability to obtain within 30 days of employment; ability to drive a vehicle and maintain coverage under University liability insurance policy, if required to drive University vehicles.Work Schedule:
Mon – Thurs 6:30am-5:00pm OR Tues – Fri 6:30am-5:00pmDriving University Vehicle:
This is a security sensitive positionEEO Statement:
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.Classification Title:
Lead GroundskeeperPhysical Requirements:
Carrying, Cleaning, Climbing, Crawling, Driving, Kneeling, Lifting or moving up to 75 pounds, Pulling , Pushing, Reaching, Sitting, Squatting, Stooping, Bending, Standing, Twisting, Walking, Writing, Grasp, Talk or Hear, Ability to communicatePosting Number:
S2019PSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and a list of three professional references with their online applicationQuicklink for Posting: