Application Programmer II - Biomedical Informatics Program (BMI)
Job no: 516930
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Agriculture/Life Science/Vet Medicine, Engineering/Computer Science, Information Systems/Technology, Research/Scientific/Grants
Department:29240101 - MD-HOBI-GENERAL
Application Programer IIJob Description:
The Biomedical Informatics Program (BMI), hosted within the Department of Health Outcomes and Biomedical Informatics and closely affiliated with the Clinical and Translational Science Institute (CTSI), engages in a wide variety of informatics research and service across the University of Florida. BMI is responsible for building out and maintaining the software, infrastructure, and data management processes required to run these research initiatives.
This position will serve as an Application Programmer II and will work under minimal supervision, provide leadership and guidance on software development projects, and work with internal and external partners to develop novel software systems. This position will serve as a Software Engineer for BMI. The incumbent will be responsible for 1) implementing, testing, and operating advanced applications; 2) participate in transforming data collected from partner organizations into common data models and structures required for various projects and systems; 3) performing on-going security testing and code review; and 4) mitigating security vulnerabilities through contribution to architecture and advisement of project teams.
- Participate in creation of novel software that meets research needs. Work in an interdisciplinary team of informaticists, software developers, information quality experts, statisticians, and researchers during software development.
- Utilize and develop novel software to extract, transform, and load (ETL) data submitted by partner organizations generated by their electronic health records and similar systems.
- Assist with the development of technical project proposals to build new software or deploy and update existing software used in data cleanup, ETLing, and related tasks.
- Participate in design, implementation, and reporting of research and evaluation studies. Contributions to scientific reports, conference papers and journal articles are expected, including documentation of method, presentation of data, and participation in interpretation of results.
- Assist with workflow of incoming data requests and other processes around the management, transform, analysis, etc. of data. Recommend and assist with development of workflow and process changes to enhance efficiency of tracking and delivery. Participate and contribute to communication of requests and results delivery. Assist with management of data governance around data sets.
$68,000 - $77,000Minimum Requirements:
Bachelor's degree and three years of appropriate experience. Appropriate college coursework may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.Preferred Qualifications:
- Master of Science in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Biomedical Informatics, or related field.
- At least 3 years of experience in a software development position.
- Expertise in building secure software systems.
- Experience with API design, preferably RESTful or similar.
- Experience with Reactive programming techniques.
- Excellent formal and interpersonal communication skills, and the ability to communicate effectively to a broad range of audiences such as faculty members, PIs, center directors, study coordinators, and IT personnel.
- SQL (MSSQL, MySQL, etc) experience
- Windows and *Nix experience
- iOS or Android development experience
- Healthcare research experience preferred, but not required
- Semantic web experience
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter and resume.The University of Florida is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training. This is a time-limited position.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.Health Assessment Required:
Advertised: 03 Jun 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 17 Jun 2021 Eastern Daylight Time