Administrative Support Assistant III
Job no: 516891
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Administrative/Professional, Business/Accounting/Finance, Office/Clerical, Veteran's Preference Eligible
Department:36010000 - PHHP-COM BIOSTATISTICS
Administrative Support AST IIIJob Description:
This position is located in the Department of Biostatistics jointly housed in the College of Public Health and Health Professions (PHHP) and the College of Medicine (COM), but administered by PHHP and primarily supports the department chair with secondary support to the department manager. This is a highly professional position requiring daily contact with the public, faculty, staff and university community. This position performs a broad range of administrative duties in support of the department chair and manager and as such, must exhibit an appropriate demeanor and attitude, maintain a high level of confidentiality related to sensitive issues, exercise independent and prudent judgment when completing the tasks and responsibilities associated with this position. This position is responsible for compliance with department, college, university, state, and federal regulations, standards and policies.
1) Assist the department chair with the overall management and operation of his/her office by performing a variety of administrative and support duties that require an extensive working knowledge of the University of Florida. Work closely with the Chair and Department Manager to coordinate pertinent interactions that he/she has with the department's faculty, the Offices of the dean (PHHP and COM), the Offices of the senior Vice President, UF Health administrators, fellow PHHP and COM Department Chairs, and other senior administrators to support the Chair's institutional responsibilities, including activities with key internal and external constituencies. This involves the acquisition and dissemination of information to aid in the understanding and knowledge of the mission of the Department and Colleges in research, teaching and service, including assisting chair with publications, adhoc and annual reports. Serve as a liaison to the department chair in his/her advisory, leadership and governance relationships with various professional associations as needed. This requires a working knowledge of each organization, and their respective function, and interacting on behalf of the department chair with these organizations. Research a variety of complex materials in the process of interpreting policies and rules as they relate to particular inquiries from the general public, accrediting bodies, other PHHP departments, the Offices of the Dean (PHHP and COM), and University of Florida constituencies as needed.
2) Manage and maintain the department chair's calendar, which could include, but is not limited to, confirming appointments, triaging any scheduling conflicts, preparing meeting materials and taking minutes, and organizing transportation. Coordinate all projects and timelines for chair, ensuring deadlines are met and timelines are adhered to. Ensure chair is aware of all department activities. Maintain department calendar(s).
3) Triage incoming and outgoing communications, including mail/email, telephone, reports, manuscripts and speeches. Assist with the preparation of briefings, presentations, proposals and responses. Assist with academic and/or fiscal reports as needed. Assist chair in preparing faculty annual letters of evaluation. Maintain confidential filing system. Act as primary department web site administrator. Assist with drafting department news items for website and college newsletter. Take lead on the annual department newsletter.
4) Responsible for all components of scheduling and arranging a variety of meetings, activities and events including seminar speakers and faculty candidates. In this role, and as dictated by the specific event, duties may include communication with event venue coordinators, participants, creating/managing polls, scheduling appropriate amount of time, determining appropriate amount of space required, selecting/security locations, arranging parking, distributing materials, monitoring and tracking participation, arranging for meals, drafting agenda (including breaks), and other associated tasks to ensure activity is organized and successful. Attend meeting as requested to prepare draft reports, record and prepare Minutes, and/or coordinate associated activities.
5) Schedule and coordinate all travel arrangements and necessary travel authorizations and reimbursement for the department chair. Prepare travel itinerary, make travel and hotel reservations, prepare/process appropriate travel and expense forms, etc. Prepare Conflict of Interest (COI) forms for review/approval as necessary. Process all expenditures/invoices payments for the department chair (i.e. memberships, subscriptions, licensure requirements, etc.). Primary point of contact between chair, department faculty and other administrative staff for department visitors as it relates to travel arrangements, itinerary creation, etc. (e.g. seminar speakers, faculty candidates). Act as a department PCard holder.
6) Other duties as assigned. May serve on department committees and act as backup to other administrative staff.Expected Salary:
$22.00 - $26.34 hourly, commensurate with qualifications and experienceMinimum Requirements:
High school diploma or equivalent and seven years of relevant experience. Appropriate college course work or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.Preferred Qualifications:
Demonstrates strong customer service skills, excellent interpersonal skills and superior organizational skills with consistent high attention to detail.
Ability to prioritize effectively, mange multiple tasks efficiently, delegate appropriately, and shift priorities quickly.
Self-motivated resourceful individual with a strong work ethic.
Ability to confidentially handle employee and student information.
Excels in use of Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook.
Strong internet skills.
Extensive experience with standard business formats and styles for letters and business forms.
Consistent use of correct spelling, punctuation and grammar.
Ability to compose quality correspondence efficiently, effectively and independently.Special Instructions to Applicants:
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter and resume.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
The University of Florida is an equal opportunity institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff.
This is a time-limited position.Health Assessment Required:
Advertised: 03 Jun 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 14 Jun 2021 Eastern Daylight Time