Agricultural Assistant II
Job no: 515946
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Categories: Agriculture/Life Science/Vet Medicine
Department:60752000 - AG-GCREC-FIELD OPERATIONS
Agricultural Assistant IIJob Description:
Familiarity with the farm equipment: knowledge, and skills to operate adequately, and safely (i.e. farm tractors and attached equipment, farm trucks, and motorized sprayers).
Stand and walk for extended or continuous periods of time.
Bend and stretch several times during the course of the day.
Ability to work with faculty and other members of the Research Center staff.
A. Land Preparation 20%
1. Assist in land preparation, i.e., disking, harrowing, rototilling
2. Assist in bedding, mulching before planting
3. Assist in removing the plastic mulch, twine, and stakes from the fields at the end of the season
B. Crop Maintenance 40%
1. Assist in punching holes for tomatoes, strawberries, or any other needs.
2. Assist in staking and tying tomatoes
3. Assist in calibration of spray equipment
4. Responsible for spraying herbicides, and pesticides as requested
5. Assist in planting different crops
6. Obtain and maintain pesticide applicator license
C. Harvesting 10%
1. Assist in the harvest of research crops
2. Assist in grading the crops after the harvest, and weighing of the fruits
D. Maintenance Operation 30%
1. Assist in routine repair of the different types of irrigation systems, including filters.
2. Assist in cleaning of equipment and work areas
3. Responsible for cleanliness, orderliness and maintenance of all working areas
4. Assist in preventative maintenance of tractors, state vehicles, and farm equipment.
5. Any unscheduled work related to field.
High school diploma or equivalent and two years of relevant experience. Appropriate college coursework or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
Valid Florida driver's license.Preferred Qualifications:
Pesticide License must be obtained within 6 months and then maintained.Special Instructions to Applicants:
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter and resume.
This is a time-limited position.
This position is eligible for veteran’s preference. If you are claiming veteran’s preference, please upload a copy of your DD 214 Member Copy 4 with your application for consideration. See our Veteran's Preference Page for more specific information.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.Health Assessment Required:
Advertised: 04 Jun 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 18 Jun 2021 Eastern Daylight Time