Curriculum Specialist Year 1
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-06-03
Title:255N-YN - Instruction & Classroom Support Technician 2
Business Title:Curriculum Specialist Year 1
Job Family:Civil Service - OT Eligible
Summary of Duties:
This position will support Year 1 of the curriculum and the associated courses. This includes design, operationalization, and continuous quality improvement each year the courses are offered.
The Curriculum Specialist will support the Pre-clerkship Curriculum Director (the “Director”) and faculty members who design, develop, and deliver the medical school curriculum. The Curriculum Specialist’s support includes administrative, logistical, and practical activities such as data entry, information organization, and building student schedules. The Curriculum Specialist’s support also includes problem identification and problem solving in collaboration with the Director, other Curriculum Specialists, the Manager of the Office of Curriculum, and the Associate Dean for Curriculum. The incumbent will serve as a central point of contact and support for faculty and administration throughout the process of course design and implementation based upon best practices. The Curriculum Specialist is responsible for preparing syllabi and guiding them through the committee approval process, preparing other course materials, posting syllabi and course materials for student access, and populating schedules and session details for the assigned year of the curriculum in the learning management system and curriculum management system (LMS & CMS) E.Flo MD.
The incumbent will work closely with faculty, staff, other units of the College of Medicine, and clinical campus locations to ensure all aspects of the MD program curriculum are coordinated consistently across the clinical campuses and clinical locations, including curriculum scheduling, planning, and organization. This also includes coordinating and scheduling meetings and working groups.
The Curriculum Specialist will provide assistance with continuous quality improvement by making recommendations for changes based on program evaluations and other relevant information (e.g. student feedback, faculty feedback, accreditation requirements).
Duties and Responsibilities:
40% Strategic Curricular Support
• Support faculty in the application of best practices through course development, building, delivery, quality assurance, and preparation of materials.
• Provide assistance to the Associate Dean for Curriculum and/or Pre-clerkship Curriculum Director in strategic planning and continuous improvement of the medical education (MD) program.
• Use systems thinking and process management to anticipate problems or challenges and propose solutions to address anticipated events.
• Independently problem solve issues that arise in the day-to-day operations and strategic development and implementation of curricular initiatives, seeking guidance from the Pre-clerkship Curriculum Director, team members, or the Manager of the Office of Curriculum when needed.
• Work closely with members of the Office of Assessment to coordinate all aspects of the MD program implementation.
• Collaborate with other units of the College of Medicine, including but not limited to Education Technology, Assessment, Evaluation, Faculty Development, Accreditation, Compliance, Student Affairs, Biomedical Sciences, Nutrition and Exercise Physiology, and clinical faculty departments for all matters related to curriculum services.
• Collaborate with Spokane Health Sciences Campus Information Technology, Library Services, and Student Affairs for all matters related to curriculum services.
• Provide consultation for professional/faculty development needs to the Faculty Development team.
• Provide consultation for LMS & CMS (E.Flo MD) design and functionality.
40% Curricular Operations
• Coordinate instructional support activities for the assigned year of the medical education program and serve as backup for other years in the curriculum.
• Serve as a central point of contact between students, faculty, staff, other departments, and/or external constituents on day-to-day programmatic activities.
• Aid faculty in administrative needs relating to course design.
• Establish individual student schedules within LMS & CMS (E.Flo MD).
• Collect, organize, and manage session-level learning objectives in preparation for uploading into E.Flo MD for the assigned year of the curriculum. Provide backup support to all years of the curriculum.
• Create, manage, and populate Education Activity Forms (EAF). Provide backup support to all years and courses of the curriculum.
• Complete E.Flo MD mapping activities, including mapping session level (activity) objectives to course objectives and assessment methods for the assigned year of the curriculum. Provide backup support to all years of the curriculum.
• Update and maintain course information on course pages within E.Flo MD for the assigned year of the curriculum. Provide backup support to all years of the curriculum.
• Assist in curriculum scheduling, developing, planning, organization, tracking, and preparation of teaching sessions, course guides (or other key informational documents) and/or seminars on a systematic timeline.
• Work with faculty to ensure curriculum content is accurate and current.
• Coordinate regular and ad hoc curricular meetings including scheduling, agenda preparation, notes (discussion items and resulting task list) and distribution, room reservations, and other administrative tasks; identify follow-up tasks and propose strategies to address; anticipate and propose future meeting agendas; triage tasks and issues to assist the Pre-clerkship Curriculum Director with prioritization.
• Maintain and track the development of curricular documents, including revisions and version control utilizing SharePoint, E.Flo MD, or other technological resources.
• Manage the syllabi preparation and approval process for all courses in the assigned year, including following timelines and shepherding through the Undergraduate Medical Education Committee structure. Post and notify students syllabus availability and location each term. Update syllabi templates.
• Collaborate with the Office of Assessment to support faculty.
• Provide input to the Office of Evaluation to support evaluations of teaching sessions/or seminars and courses in order to promote continuous quality improvement.
• Lead or assist with record maintenance, database maintenance, site visit preparation, and correspondence.
• Support the education technology team to establish recordings (and/or other technologies necessary) for session capture.
• Collaborate with the education technology team and the Spokane Campus library to ensure learning resources are available to students.
• Create and maintain Qualtrics surveys to collect and organize student information for curricular operations.
• Provide administrative support (schedule meetings, support, agenda preparation, distribution, take minutes, and manage documents on SharePoint) for the Undergraduate Medical Education Committee (UMEC) subcommittees and provide backup support to the assigned support of UMEC.
15% Quality Assurance
• Participate in the establishment, maintenance, reporting progress to appropriate stakeholders, and follow quality assurance procedures for assigned courses.
• Perform all duties within parameters established by FERPA and HIPAA. Seek guidance to ensure compliance when necessary.
• Maintain annual review calendar for content review, design, and processes for assigned year of the curriculum; ensure reviews occur in a timely manner to facilitate continuous quality improvement.
• Monitor the performance of curricular quality control checks by faculty and staff.
• Update and distribute quality control standard operating procedures.
• Review and correct/update learning objectives for faculty and use quality control procedures for any/all content before entering into the LMS & CMS (E.Flo MD).
Other related work as required or assigned
A Bachelor’s Degree with major study in specific instructional area; or equivalent education/experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Instructional Design, Curriculum and Instruction, Education, Biology, Social, Physical, or Health Sciences, Business Administration or other field given context of work experience and/or other qualifications.
- Demonstrated experience with records or data management systems such as learning management systems, electronic health record systems, human capital management systems, customer relationship management systems, or similar platforms
- Experience utilizing Microsoft Office products such as Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience in a fast-paced environment including frequent interactions with students, faculty, staff and/or the public.
- Ability to prioritize projects with competing deadlines, take initiative and handle information in a confidential manner.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel (creating/using formulas, tables, charts and graphs), Word (mail merge), Outlook (complex calendaring), One Drive, SharePoint and Adobe Acrobat Professional (creating fillable forms).
- Experience using Slack, Teams, Zoom (or other video-conferencing software).
- Working experience in post-secondary education and/or working experience in secondary education (in some cases).
- Experience with Instructional Design and Academic Technologies in a medical school.
Area/College: Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine
Department Name: Office of Curriculum
City, State, Zip: Spokane, WA 99202
Department Link: https://medicine.wsu.edu/
Monthly Salary: $3,446
Screening Begin Date: June 9, 2021
Background Check: This position has been designated by the department to require a background check.
Application Instructions: Applicants must attach 1) resume and 2) cover letter to their online application. Application materials should clearly communicate how the applicant meets all required qualifications and additional requirements. Applicants are required to include contact information for professional references within the application.
The screening of applications will begin June 9, 2021 and continue until a suitable candidate has been identified.
Required Documents: Resume and Cover Letter
Time Type:Full time
Position Term:12 Month
WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EDUCATOR AND EMPLOYER. Members of ethnic minorities, women, special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam-era, recently separated veterans, and other protected veteran, persons of disability and/or persons age 40 and over are encouraged to apply.
WSU employs only U.S. citizens and lawfully authorized non-U.S. citizens. All new employees must show employment eligibility verification as required by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
WSU is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, education and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact Human Resource Services: 509-335-4521 (v), Washington State TDD Relay Service: Voice Callers: 1-800-833-6384; TDD Callers: 1-800-833-6388, 509-335-1259(f), or email@example.com.