Coordinator of Student Accessibility Services
Department:: Student Life
Locations:: Roxbury Crossing, MA
Posted:: Jun 4, 2021
Closes:: Jul 5, 2021 - 11:59 PM EDT
Type:: Full Time
Position ID:: 131842
About Roxbury Community College:
Roxbury Community College is an urban, public, 2-year College serving a diverse community, including people of color, recent immigrants and non-traditional populations. The College's mission is to facilitate student success in achieving educational goals through the delivery of high-quality transfer and career programs. RCC strives to honor traditional commitments, and to be responsive to new challenges and insights through workforce training, ESOL, and community education. The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity, gender, language, age and background. Roxbury Community College is an AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates who would enhance the diversity of its staff.
The Coordinator of Student Accessibility Services reports directly to the Director of Academic and Student Support. The mission and focus of Student Accessibility Services is to assist students, faculty and staff with ensuring equitable access to all student programs and services, create an environment that recognizes ability on a cultural level and to serve as a primary support to qualifying students. This role will work closely with all departments as a partner and will include Academic Advising, Project Access, Financial Aid, Learning Resources and all instructors who are working with students registered with SAS. The Coordinator of Student Accessibility Services will work closely with the Director of Academic and Student Support in onboarding students, management of students in crisis and various aspects of advising related to accessibility.
- Assists Director of Student Accessibility Services with ensuring Roxbury Community College is inclusive and accessible to all students with disabilities by utilizing a proactive framework
- Provides support to students with disabilities with an approach that recognizes and values diversity with an intersectional approach to needs and their humanity
- Reviews/updates marketing materials about Student Accessibility Services at RCC, such as brochures, handouts, viewbook writeups, and videos
- Assists with determining student accommodations and decisions regarding appropriate learning strategies/adaptations to be incorporated into classroom instruction (i.e. consults with faculty regarding instructional needs of students
- Meets with students on an individual basis to provide coaching on executive functioning; develop strategies for time management, explore tools for managing deadlines and assignments, and train students on assistive technology
- Coach students on developing self advocacy skills, strategies for navigating social settings and conflict resolution
- Coordinate writing and delivery of accommodation letters
- Assists Testing Center with proctoring exams to students with accommodations such as access to a scriber, reader, or other request for individual support
- Coordinates alternative text and adaptation of course materials to ensure accessibility for students
- Assists with management of student information and entries into Tiger Paw for tracking and record keeping
- Refer students to and partner with external agencies such as MRC, DDS, DME and others.
- Maintains professional knowledge in applicable areas (i.e. maintains a working knowledge of assigned area; researches new trends and advances in the profession; reads professional literature; attends conferences, workshops, and training sessions).
- Comply with the duties as stipulated in the Massachusetts Community College Council Collective Bargaining Agreement. Other duties as assigned
Master's degree in Special Education, counseling, Higher Education or closely related field with three to five years of experience and/or training that includes working with students with all types of disabilities in post-secondary education, administering/interpreting ADA and Section 504, 508 and other relevant laws, educational and psychological tests, curriculum development, and program administration; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Salary Range: Roxbury Community College offers competitive salaries and full benefits according to the guidelines and procedures of the MCCC Collective Bargaining Agreement.
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act requires all institutes of higher education to disclose campus policy statements and crime statistics. Our annual report is available at www.rcc.mass.edu/clery.
Appointment is subject to SORI (Sexual Offense Registry Information) background check, and a publicly accessible Massachusetts CORI (Criminal Offense Registry Information) background check.
Roxbury Community College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, age, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity or sexual orientation in its programs and activities as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and college policies. The College prohibits sexual harassment including sexual violence. Inquiries or complaints concerning discrimination, harassment, retaliation, or sexual violence shall be referred to the College's Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission or the United States Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights.