Lab Tech I - Jack H. Skirball Center for Chemical Biology and Proteomics, Dr. Gerald Joyce
Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all positions (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
Under general supervision, position performs tasks and experiments in support of academic research projects. Responsibilities may include: routine molecular biology, biochemical, and cell biology techniques. Maintains and prepares accurate records of all experiments. Assists with lab maintenance such as cleaning of laboratory glassware, sterilization of materials and preparation of solutions.
(100%) Lab Support
- Assist with general laboratory organization and maintenance, duties include but are not limited to, restock media, autoclave tubes, refill jars, dispose of boxes and waste, clean water bath, ensure inventory is maintained, and make LB plates.
- Assist with and perform chemistry, microbiology, molecular biology, and immunology techniques
- Work with tissue culture and drosophila for handling and maintaining strains as well as infecting.
- Perform genotyping, including extracting DNA, PCR and gel electrophoresis and understanding of genetics.
- Perform tasks as needed by the gnotobiotic facility, may include autoclaving lab coats, preparing autoclaved materials, lifting, handling, etc.
- No professional level experience required
- Prior experience in a lab setting.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Undergraduate coursework in chemistry, biochemistry, pharmacology, or biology.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Understands operation of basic lab equipment.
- Ability to perform routine, repetitive functions.
- After initial instruction, ability to follow directions and perform repetitive tasks.
- Ability to communicate required information and keep accurate records of work performed.
- Proven ability to work both independently and also as part of a collaborative team.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy, and flexibility.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with PC and MAC operating systems, standard business office equipment and commonly used software and tools, such as Microsoft Office, electronic mail, and the internet.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Satisfactory completion of the Institute’s background investigation.
- Must be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement.
This position requires constant handling, seeing, sitting, talking, communicating, reading, reasoning, and working inside.