Preventative Maintenance Technician
Preventative Maintenance TechnicianTracking Code634-280 Job Description
Under the direct supervision of the Associate Vice President, coordinates and executes scheduled preventative maintenance of all HVAC systems and performs skilled to semi-skilled tasks in the cleaning, lubrication, alignment, inspection and minor repair of air conditioning equipment. Incumbent exercises the use of independent judgment in the performance of preventive maintenance activities and in the evaluation of HVAC systems.
- Directly responsible for the scheduling, ordering and supervising of the maintenance and installation of all filters, UV blubs, belts and bearings for all HVAC units, all exhaust fans and all blowers on campus.
- Maintains correspondence and communication with off campus vendors regarding maintenance, modification, filter design and improvements on existing equipment.
- Directly responsible for verifying the manifests for monthly filter shipments, changes and adjustments to monthly filter orders, maintaining the inventory of belts and filters and providing detailed information for custom fabrication of necessary HVAC accessories.
- Directly responsible for communicating the maintenance schedules of belts for exhaust fans and blowers to building maintenance personnel.
- Performs preventive maintenance tasks such as assessing equipment operation, cleaning, lubricating and changing filters and UV bulbs. Executes minor repairs and adjustments on HVAC equipment and controls, etc., consistent with the Manufacturer’s Equipment Operation and Repair Manuals and contemporary standards of good practice
- Primary duties are filter changing, lubrication of motor and blower shaft bearings, fan belt adjustments, vibration elimination, oversees installation of UV bulbs and maintaining said schedules
- Uses or can be trained to properly use volt\ohm meters and amp meters to verify live circuits and troubleshoot problems.
- Advises supervision on replacement needs of systems and related components
- Installs new system components
- Effectively plans and performs in a multi-task environment, and meets self or pre-imposed objectives and deadlines. Exercises the use of independent judgment
- Maintains an effective working relationship, both inter and intra-departmentally
- Participates on Quality Improvement Teams, as assigned
- Prepares time and material estimates as required
- Performs periodic inspections of work areas, buildings and related structures and assures steps are taken to maintain same in accordance with recognized standards of good practice
- Responds to student and other group’s issues in a supportive, professional, timely and problem solving manner.
- Abides by and complies with University policies and procedures
- Assist other Stetson Facilities building systems and maintenance teams in providing maintenance and support for the university
- Performs other duties or special assignments as assigned
Minimum Education: HS diploma/GEDRequired Skills
- Effective oral and writing skills
- Practical application of recognized standards of good practice relevant to heating, mechanical ventilation, refrigeration, and air conditioning and related mechanical equipment preventive maintenance tasks such as on controls, pumps, motors, compressors, air handlers, etc.
- May be required to participate in an after-hours on-call rotation schedule (on-call technician rotates each week), as well as ability to work occasional overtime.
- Practical application of recognized standards of good practice relevant to matters of safety and security
- Effective human relations skills with a proactive customer-oriented focus
- Ability to be viewed by all campus constituencies as supportive
- Knowledgeable in basic practices employed in the building trades
- Minimum high school diploma or GED.
- Hands-on maintenance experience on HVAC equipment preferred
- Valid Florida driver’s license and an insurable driving record required
Salary Grade: 4Job Location DeLand, Florida, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular