Steam & Power Plant I- CREATING POOL OF APPLICANTS FOR ANTICIPATED OPENINGS
Steam & Power Plant IWorking Position Title:
Steam & Power Plant I- CREATING POOL OF APPLICANTS FOR ANTICIPATED OPENINGSPosting Type:
Human Resource ServicesPrimary Function:
Employees in positions assigned to this series work in a power plants that provide heating and cooling, chilled water and electricity, including cogeneration plants. These plants use coal, natural gas, fuel oil or other fuel, and water. Power plant employees are responsible for the operation and maintenance of equipment that produces steam and electricity, as well as equipment for pollution-control systems and air conditioning. They may also work with general power plant equipment building ventilation and air-conditioning equipment, pumps, compressors, and other building mechanical equipment.
Operators in this series may assist in the operation of, or operate, plant equipment (such as boilers, turbines, pollution-control equipment, water-treatment equipment and associated equipment). They are also responsible for reading gauges, maintaining logs, and cleaning equipment.Duties and Responsibilities (generally):
Employees at this level assist in the operation, maintenance, and repair of steam and power plants and/or related mechanical equipment in buildings throughout campus. These individuals study and learn approved methods for operating steam and power plant/related mechanical equipment. They work under direct supervision from higher-level operators.Minimum Required Qualifications for this position:
CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY PLACEMENT OFFICER
1. High School Graduation or EquivalentList the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.:
1. Mechanical Knowledge: knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance; including power plant equipment, steam-generating equipment, and pollution-control devices
2. Ability and willingness to follow both oral and written directions
3. Ability to work with others
4. Problem Sensitivity: ability to tell when something is wrong or likely to go wrong
5. Manual Dexterity: ability to quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects
6. Trunk Strength: ability to use your abdominal and lower back muscles to support part of the body repeatedly or continuously over time without fatiguing
7. Computers and Electronics Knowledge: knowledge of systems such as word processing, managing files and records, and other office procedures and terminology
8. Oral Comprehension and Expression Ability: ability to listen and understand information presented by others and to communicate information and ideas so others can understand
9. Ability to work in conditions with wide variation of temperature exposure
As designated in the Status Notice, the classifications listed for each new title are to be used as a general guide. A final review of the job description will dictate the actual assignment of classification level.Minimum Pay Rate (Hourly or Monthly):
$ 19.11/ hrHiring Rate Information:
Actual hiring rate is commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to eligible applicants.Posting Date:
08/31/2021Special Instructions to Applicants:
- This posting is a POOL posting, created to build a referral register for future opportunities.
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including employment dates and duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position, however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial transcripts.
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application. Emails will be generated from [email protected] and [email protected]. Please add these emails to your address book to ensure timely delivery of any future communication.
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your online profile be personal use, not professional/work information: personal email address, home address, and phone numbers. The information you provide is used to make contact on search updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
- ALL QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL BE SCHEDULED TO COME TO THE NIU DEKALB CAMPUS TO TAKE A STATE UNIVERSITIES CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATION. At the time of testing, you will be required to present a photo ID. NOTE: If you have previously tested for this classification and wish to rewrite the exam to improve your score and register position, please contact the Civil Service Testing Office by the posting deadline.
- Required documentation noted in the posting such as driver’s license, licensures, or certifications MUST be presented at the time of examination.
- If eligible for Veteran’s Preference Points, DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application in order to receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- Click Steam & Power Plant I for more information including salary ranges, typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and testing requirements.
- Please click Human Resource Services – Benefits for detailed information about Northern Illinois University’s benefits package.
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.ADA Accommodation:
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form. For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Education (AAEOE) at [email protected].Clery Act Information:
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.Quick Link: