Human Resources Business Partner / Generalist, 74821
Location: UMKC Volker Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 36980
Office of Human ResourcesJob Description
UMKC has a unique opportunity for a Human Resources Business Partner. As an HR Business Partner, you will have a key role on the Human Resources team. You will act as a liaison between the College, Schools and Divisions and The Office of Human Resources. Your role will be to provide high quality, business focused and strategic level advice, guidance and support to the Dean, Vice Chancellor and their management team. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Serves as the primary departmental resource for counsel and application of employment policies and procedures and coordinates payroll and employment activities. Liaises with HR, on such matters but not limited to: recruitment, leaves of absence, transfers, reclassifications, rehires, progressive discipline, terminations, annual performance appraisals, compensation and classification.
- Understands goals, objectives and priorities of assigned College, School or Division; identifying how HR can support and help drive business and organizational goals. Uses data to help identify areas for improvement and drive progress.
- Implements, communicates and ensures compliance with Human Resources policies, procedures, laws, standards and government regulations
- Coaches and guides managers within the College, School or Division; assisting and enabling them to understand the implications of issues and to make solid, quality decisions with regard to HR issues.
- Advises managers on employee relations matters such as coaching employee behavior and progressive discipline, referring to senior management when appropriate and consulting with HR when appropriate. Participates in disciplinary procedures and develops appropriate supporting documents, including investigations and related summaries.
- Maintains electronic and physical employment files and updates them in real time to comply with all applicable regulatory requirements.
- Assists in conducting new employee on-boarding in College, School or Division. Supporting and monitoring career development and assists with training needs and expectations.
- Attends and participates in regular HR meetings, communicating important HR-related updates and information in a timely and transparent manner.
A bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience and at least 3 years of experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary.Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field
- 5 years of HR generalist experience
- Strong Business and HR Acumen
- Ability to provide professional and compliant feedback to all levels of the university including Executive and Senior staff
- Experience using data to drive decisions
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate in an effective, positive manner with mangers and individual contributors in a team environment
- Demonstrates a high level of professionalism, discretion and confidentiality
- HR Certification
$47,476 - $57,000 commensurate with experience and education.Application Deadline
Review of applications will begin immediately. For first round interview consideration, please submit completed application materials by June 30th.
Note, you must provide a description of job duties for each Work Experience entry on your application. Please review the application instructions section carefully prior to submitting your materials.Application Instructions
Applicants must combine all application materials (cover letter, resume, and list of five references with contact information) into one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as a resume attachment.
Limit document name to 50 characters. Maximum size limit is 11MB. Do not include special characters (e.g., /, &, %, etc.).
If you are experiencing technical problems, please call (800) 488-5288.Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor - Human Resources at 816-235-1621.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties and functions of this job. If you believe you may have difficulty performing any of the duties or functions of this job, please contact the Office of Affirmative Action at (816) 235-1323.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links:
UMKC values diversity as central to its mission as an urban-serving research university and as a driver of excellence in teaching and learning. UMKC embraces a broad spectrum of diversities, including race, ethnicity, culture, nationality, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability, linguistic ability, learning style, religion, socioeconomic and veteran status, life experiences, educational level and family structure. For more information on our diversity mission, visit the Office of Diversity and Inclusion website: http://info.umkc.edu/diversity/
UMKC is the largest comprehensive, fully accredited university in the Kansas City area. Our students come from all 50 states and over 85 countries, enriching our community with diverse perspectives. With more than 125 academic areas, our students have a lot of opportunities to explore on their way to discovering and creating their perfect career. We are at the heart of a thriving urban area where the city’s life and energy influence everything that happens here. We are Kansas City’s university and we can’t wait for you to join us! Find out more about UMKC in the About UMKC section of our website.
Details about UMKC’s community and the benefits of being an employee can be found on our careers page.