Telecom / Low Voltage Cable Tech - Expert, Information Services, 28323
Location: UMKC Volker Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 36973
Information Services, Infrastructure ServicesJob Description
UMKC Information Services is seeking a Telecom Technician who is team-oriented and known for their attention to detail, accuracy, and ability to take initiative.
Located in the UMKC’s Flarsheim Hall, this individual will be responsible for working with fellow Telecom team members to install, inspect and maintain campus communications facilities to include copper, coaxial, fiber optic, paging facilities and telecommunications room hardware. This individual will also provide technical expertise on communications equipment purchases, placement, configuration, operation, and maintenance.
Successful applicants will be organized, patient individuals, who can remain calm and problem solve in fast-paced situations. This individual will be expected to provide exceptional customer service to our faculty, staff, students, and community. Work performed is often time sensitive, therefore multitasking skills are very important. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Install, terminate, test and repair wiring, equipment and peripherals for switched and non-switched services (voice, data and video).
- Install telecommunications systems, equipment and peripherals.
- Interpret written and verbal requests, coordinate work with customers and complete all required documentation.
- Perform “on-call” duties when required (outside of normal operating hours).
- Use desktop software, including internally-developed software, Microsoft Office, e-mail and telecommunications system interface/configuration software.
- Perform programming and repair operations on the campus telephone and emergency alert/phone systems.
- Perform mechanical and fusion splicing operations on campus fiber optics (inside and outside).
- Renovate existing and construct new telecommunication rooms.
- This position is responsible for locating all university telecommunications infrastructure/outside plant as part of the Missouri one call program.
- This employee is responsible for the design, deployment and maintenance of campus security camera systems.
High School diploma or equivalent
2 years telecommunications experience (Design, deployment, maintenance and repair).
- 5 years telecommunication experience.
- BICSI Installer 2 certification.
- Belden partner alliance certification.
- Fiber certification – Inside and/or outside plant.
$15.29 - $20.70 per hour, commiserate with experience and education.Application Deadline
Open until filledEqual Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor - Human Resources at 816-235-1621.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties and functions of this job. If you believe you may have difficulty performing any of the duties or functions of this job, please contact the Office of Affirmative Action at (816) 235-1323.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links:
UMKC values diversity as central to its mission as an urban-serving research university and as a driver of excellence in teaching and learning. UMKC embraces a broad spectrum of diversities, including race, ethnicity, culture, nationality, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability, linguistic ability, learning style, religion, socioeconomic and veteran status, life experiences, educational level and family structure. For more information on our diversity mission, visit the Office of Diversity and Inclusion website: http://info.umkc.edu/diversity/
UMKC is the largest comprehensive, fully accredited university in the Kansas City area. Our students come from all 50 states and over 85 countries, enriching our community with diverse perspectives. With more than 125 academic areas, our students have a lot of opportunities to explore on their way to discovering and creating their perfect career. We are at the heart of a thriving urban area where the city’s life and energy influence everything that happens here. We are Kansas City’s university and we can’t wait for you to join us! Find out more about UMKC in the About UMKC section of our website.
Details about UMKC’s community and the benefits of being an employee can be found on our careers page.