Academic Library Fellow - 74404
Location: UMKC Volker Campus
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Job ID: 37018
University LibrariesJob Description
The Public Services Division at Miller Nichols Library is delighted to offer a Fellowship to another graduate student. We seek a creative, curious, motivated individual who is new to librarianship and looks forward to developing a leading-edge skill set in academic librarianship, teaching, and e-learning. The Fellowships are situated in the main library at a mid-sized university in the heart of Kansas City’s vibrant, socially-conscious, entrepreneurial community and are a perfect place to accrue an impressive breadth and depth of experience for your resume. Fellows will receive training for all job duties including teaching at the college level, instructional pedagogy, research service, outreach and engagement, and more. Fellows will develop or be assigned to projects tailored to their individual goals within the Libraries’ innovative, university-wide information literacy program as well as other areas throughout the library. Our focus is on turning good Fellows into excellent librarians
The Academic Library Fellow provides research and instruction services and contributes to outreach and engagement efforts. In addition, the Fellow will be expected to explore other areas of the library and profession through special projects. The Academic Library Fellowship provides mentoring in the areas of academic library operations, professional development, and career advising. This position reports to a Fellowship Director.
- Provides research service from the Miller Nichols Library service desk, on call desk and via remote service options, e.g. chat, text, email or phone, in accordance with these documents
- Reference Customer Service Values
- Standards for Reference Service
- Because this is a pre-career developmental program designed for students in Library Science, you must be a current student in an ALA-accredited graduate degree program for Library and Information Science to apply. We encourage students to apply early in their degree programs.Service-oriented; willingness to go above and beyond.Good oral and written communication skills; highly comfortable with public speaking.Thrives in a team environment.Demonstrably high comfort level using computer and web applications; ability to quickly learn new software and programs.
- Part-time.375-.5 FTE (15-20 hours/week depending upon candidate's availability)Term appointment, renewable dependent upon performance for up to approximately one year post-graduation.Scheduled hours will primarily fall between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays but also highly flexible. The UMKC University Libraries support flexible work arrangements in keeping with the Flexible Work Arrangement Policy. Flexible work arrangements should support the mission, goals and functional role of the employee, department and university.
$15.00 per hourApplication Deadline
Priority will be given to applications received by June 21, 2021, however position will remain open until filledApplication Instructions Application materials must be submitted online at www.umkc.edu/jobs. Applicants must combine all application materials into one PDF and upload as a resume attachment. Application materials must include:
- Personal letter of interestResume or curriculum vitaeList of LIS coursework completedList of references
· Contributes to a safe and respectful environment for all users and employees of the UMKC Libraries.
To request ADA accommodations, please call the Director of Affirmative Action at 816-235-1323.
EEO IS THE LAWTo read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links: