Virtual Music/Song Writing Instructor - Essential
Locations:: Oakland, CA
Posted:: Jun 2, 2021
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Part-time Temporary
Position ID:: 131770
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu.
Mills College - TRIO Upward Bound
Upward Bound (UB) is a federally funded college preparatory program that offers assistance to low-income and first-generation college-bound students. The focus of Upward Bound is to develop skills needed for a college education. UB is dedicated to helping participating students graduate from high school with a solid foundation (i.e., completion of required coursework and a strong GPA) necessary for entering college. Upward Bound continues to support participants to ensure continued college enrollment and, ultimately, graduation.
The Mills College Upward Bound program has played an integral role in the Oakland Unified School District for the last 45 years and now begins a relationship with the West Contra Costa Unified School District to continue to build and expand close relationships with eligible students and their families. Our ultimate goal is to equip students with the skills and motivation necessary for college graduation.
Saturday College Description
Mills College Upward Bound Program offers an educational program for students in 9th -12th grade. The MCUB Summer program will provide academic instruction in core subjects: English, Sciences and Mathematics. It will also provide courses and workshops exploring various topics: Life Skills, Study Skills, College Preparation, Career Exploration, and Cultural Awareness.
The MCUB Summer College program will be carried out Virtually from June 21st through July 30th. Staff orientation/training will take place prior to the first instructional day on Thursday, June 17th at 1pm. Instruction for the Mills College Upward Bound Program is scheduled to begin Tuesday, June 22nd. The daily instructional schedule is 2:00pm to 3:00pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Mills College Upward Bound Program is currently seeking highly motivated, knowledgeable, creative, engaging, student focused, experienced educators to teach academic courses in Virtual Music/Song Writing Instructor. Courses will be taught to high school students from our target schools. The position requires someone who has passion, alternative teaching practices, and knowledge to motivate and challenge students to generate skills necessary for college success. We seek instructors who can develop a strong curriculum that addresses students' needs, interests, abilities, and curiosities.
Each course will be defined by:
- Class sizes (15-25 students).
- Virtual instruction, group work, real-world application of concepts taught.
- Experiential learning; interactive curriculum; foundational development; problem-solving skills; present novel concepts that they may not otherwise be seen by our students unless they decide to actively seek it out; basic adult life skills, along with fun project based learning activities.
- Pre & post assessments.
Essential Job Functions:
- Develops and implements effective units, lessons and classroom activities.
- Organizes virtual class systems/procedures and manages student behavior to ensure all students are fully engaged in learning; supports systems/procedures of the virtual classroom teachers.
- Design and implement a course syllabus that effectively outlines monthly concepts covered, in-class & group work, projects, post assessment.
- Establish classroom management policies and procedures needed to maintain a productive virtual classroom environment.
- Demonstrate knowledge of, and support, Mills College Upward Bound mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior.
- Attend teacher orientation/planning session(s), program activities, & final evaluation closing session. Dates to be announced prior to hiring.
- Perform other related duties as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of subject matter and skill acquisition in subject being taught.
- Must demonstrate proficiency in related fields and some proficiency with computers.
- Knowledge of child/adolescent development and different learning modes and teaching styles.
- Inspirational, culturally aware with demonstrated knowledge and experience in problems facing low-income and first generation students.
- Skills and knowledge to effectively work with students with diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, linguistic and ethnic backgrounds.
- Ability to understand and enforce all Mills College Upward Bound Program policies.
Education and Training:
Education & Experience
- Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree. Preferred candidate holds Teaching Credential or working towards Teaching Credential.
- Minimum 2 years' experience teaching in related subjects.
- Minimum 2 years direct working relationship/or teaching low-income, first-generation college-bound students.
- Strong preference given to Oakland Unified School District and West Contra Costa School District teachers.
COMPENSATION: Summer Virtual Music/Song Writing Instructors will be compensated by stipend $3,500
This is an at-will, grant funded position. The availability and continuance of this position is subject to ongoing funding from the grant
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to https://www.mills.edu/policies/ada-policies/nondiscrimination-statement.php.
All positions are subject to a background check. Prior to the first date of employment, an applicant's background check must be cleared.
Before an offer can be made finalists will be required to pass a fingerprint background check and show proof of negative TB test.
Click the "Apply Now" button below and follow instructions to submit the following documents:
- Employee Application
- Cover Letter specifying your qualifications & expertise
- Contact Information for 3 References and
- Sample course proposal/syllabus.
Please note that you can only upload 6 "Other" documents. You can consolidate multiple pages/documents into one file upload. The file size limit for each upload is 10Mb.
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.