Systems Engineering & Design Support
Posting Date: June 3, 2021 Posting End Date: August 3, 2021
Position: Systems Engineering & Design Support Location: Huntsville, AL
Status: Full time; Exempt
In keeping with the President’s commitment to Tuskegee University demonstrating “Excellence in Every Way”, the ideal Systems Engineering & Design Support engineer will possess the willingness to use his or her expertise to assist in the university’s efforts to be a sustainable academic organization committed to excellence.
This position will provide Systems Engineering and Design Support to the System Analysis Branch (EV74) and the Systems Supportability and Integration Team in support of the Space Launch System (SLS) Program at Marshall Space Flight Center. The successful candidate will coordinate and interface with multiple engineering disciplines, system elements, and customers, as well as participate in reviews, meetings, working groups, task teams, and systems/tasks supportability processes and assessments.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in the design and construction of engineering mockup hardware using various materials.
- Meet with customers and review the requirements for the mockup.
- Determine the fidelity of the mockup based upon the customer’s needs and requirements.
- Convert design drawings (CAD files) into construction/fabrication drawings.
- Understand the materials and components needed for the mockup.
- Manufacture and assemble the mockup.
- Participate and conduct human factors supportability assessments.
- Perform worksite analysis using virtual assessment software such as Process Simulate Human (PSH) or JACK, to evaluate hardware designs against the requirements in the NASA Human System Integration Requirements document.
- Perform physical assessments using physical mock-ups or models as appropriate.
- Recommend effective and timely design solutions to mitigate human factors non-compliances to designers and engineers.
- Document worksite and task analysis results in analysis/assessment reports.
Office environment. Requires ability to provide clear, concise, accurate and timely communication, both verbally and in writing (100%). Requires ability to interact professionally with co-workers, management, and client (100%). Requires travel in the domestic USA (<15%).
Requires sitting for extended periods of time in meetings with peers, management, and with our client at NASA facilities to discuss technical issues (10%). Also, requires sitting for extended periods of time at a desk to write reports and perform engineering tasks (80%). Requires ability to use stairs or elevators for access between floors and multiple buildings at NASA and Jacobs facilities (10%).
Equipment and Machines Requires ability to operate a personal computer, a telephone, fax machine, copier, calculator, and other general office equipment (100%).
Normal workday is from 7:30 a.m. through 4:30 p.m., Monday thru Friday. Minimal overtime may be required (10%) to meet schedule milestones and to support technical demands of the job. Regular attendance is a necessity and adequate arrangements for delegating duties during absences are required.
Other Essential Functions
The ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and to make rational decisions, and to exercise good judgment is essential (100%). Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.
A Bachelor’s degree or higher in Mechanical, Aerospace, or Civil Engineering or a degree in a related technical discipline such as Industrial Design, Physics, or Mathematics and two or more years of experience.
Required skills and experience:
- Familiarity with different CAD packages (SolidWorks, Pro-Engineer Creo, MicroStation, or Unigraphics).
- Experience in woodworking and basic hand tool proficiency.
- Experience with CNC fabrication, milling, and machine shop operations.
- Some knowledge of design and construction techniques.
- Ability to break problems or issues into manageable pieces to facilitate resolution of technical concerns.
- Experience with designing, planning, and construction of physical and virtual mock-ups, in order to assess and analyze design concepts.
- A working knowledge of Human Factors data collection processes, analysis techniques, and software tools.
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal, and presentation techniques are required in order to provide appropriate design solutions for mitigating human factors deficiencies.
- Intermediate skills using Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
Desired skills and experience:
- Experience using PSH, Jack, or Delmia.
- Experience with CAD software such as CREO, SolidEdge, or SolidWorks.
- Experience with different types of construction techniques;
- 3D Printing
- General Machine Shop
- General Woodworking Shop
- Tube Bending
- Sheet metal work
- Experience/knowledge of NASA, MIL, or FAA Human Factors standards.
- Aerospace, military, or commercial human factors or design experience
- An understanding of the NASA systems engineering processes and familiarity with requirements and verification processes.
Proof of U.S. Citizenship is required.
Commensurate with education, training and experience
Each applicant, including all current/existing employees, must complete and submit a Tuskegee University employment application, resume/CV, a list of (3) to (5) references (with detailed contact information) and copies of unofficial transcripts (official transcript(s) will be required upon hire). Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications and submit a completed application packet in order to be considered for the position. The University reserves the right not to fill the position in the event of budgetary or operational constraints.
To apply for this position, please visit the following link: https://jacobs.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer-Male/Female/Veteran/Disabled
Federal law requires identity and employment eligibility verifications on Form I-9 within three (3) business days of
employment. Must be able to pass a drug screen and background check.