Robotics Lab Manager I
Job location: Worcester
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-06-02
JOB TITLERobotics Lab Manager ILOCATIONWorcesterDEPARTMENT NAMERobotics Engineering DepartmentDIVISION NAMEWorcester Polytechnic Institute - WPIJOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARYDesign, fabricate, modify and repair instruments, assemblies and systems to support faculty, staff and students in the Robotics Engineering Program. Oversee teaching laboratory facilities (involving purchase, inventory, calibration, electronic and mechanical construction, trouble-shooting and repair) for all program equipment. Maintain RBE networking and computer hardware and software. Provide technical assistance to RBE faculty, with additional assistance to graduate and undergraduate students in support of program missions of education, research and outreach. Assist with instructional delivery. Supervise Student Assistants working in the teaching laboratory.JOB DESCRIPTION
- Responsible for overall organization, setup and maintenance of RBE teaching laboratory facilities, involving coordination with RBE faculty and other departmental technical personnel.
- Design, fabricate, build and assemble instruments and components to support students, faculty and staff.
- Assist with teaching of courses and sections, including preparing educational materials and assignments, and delivering laboratory instruction.
- Provide guidance and assistance to students working on projects and research.
- Maintain proper safety at all times.
- Evaluate, cost and requisition shop and teaching laboratory supplies, equipment and materials.
- Responsible for the physical condition (facilities, organization, neatness, safety) of all teaching laboratories and for the RBE shop facilities.
- Responsible for inventory, calibration, and repair/replacement of all equipment and computers used in RBE teaching laboratories.
- Supervision and training of graduate and undergraduate students in the use of specialized equipment needed by RBE students for work on projects and research.
- Provide assistance to faculty for analog, digital, software, mechanical and electro-mechanical fabrication and trouble-shooting, and for assistance with classroom demonstrations.
- Provide networking, computer hardware, and computer software assistance.
- Supervise undergraduate work-study/part-time employees to assist with RBE projects.
- Supervise Student Assistants working in the RBE teaching laboratory.
- Work with other RBE staff and faculty in meeting all program needs.
- Performance of other duties as assigned.
- College graduate or equivalent experience, including in particular electro-mechanical design, fabrication, assembly and test. Associates degree or equivalent in appropriate engineering or technology field, with 5-10 years relevant experience highly desirable.
- Requires knowledge of the tools, equipment, methods and practices of electro-mechanical technical trades.
- Ability to read blueprints, make working drawings, understand and draw schematics, and full knowledge of shop math is necessary.
- Ability to develop working electronic systems, experiments and laboratory apparatus appropriate to robotics engineering.
- Ability to design, implement, and debug embedded software for robotics applications.
- Experience in setup, maintenance and troubleshooting of PC, laptop, server, and networking hardware.
- Experience with Microsoft Windows and UNIX operating systems and the Robot Operating System.
- Willingness to acquire and maintain skills and knowledge appropriate to implementing new developments relevant to robot assemblies, design and fabrication.
- Willingness to acquire and understand elementary CAD skills.
- Ability to design and produce 3D printed components
- Ability to communicate and translate technical ideas or abstract visions with students of multi-cultural backgrounds and differing skill levels.
- Demonstrated technical skills to perform the duties of the position, including experience with both analog and digital circuits, embedded systems, software, electro-mechanical components, and mechanical assemblies.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, prioritizing as appropriate, and seeking help where needed.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills, including the ability to work productively with a wide range of people.