Financial Oversight Manager
Job Title: Financial Oversight Manager
Location: W A Franke College of Business
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 605460
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
***This position is open to current regular, benefit-eligible NAU employees ONLY. (Temporary employees, student workers, variable-hour benefit-eligible employees, and other non-regular employees are not eligible to apply).***
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
Oversees the coordination of monthly, quarterly, and annual budget reports and account reconciliations to ensure accuracy and completeness. Compares actual results with original financial forecasts to determine the effectiveness of new university programs. Develops and implements departmental policies and procedures to optimize the university’s fiscal oversight and meet all budgetary goals. Develops budgets and strategic plans to guide financial planning decisions for The W.A. Franke College of Business, which includes the Business Division, Hotel and Restaurant Management, and the Economic Policy Institute. This entails 15 state budgets, 47 local budgets, and 80 foundation accounts, which amounts to approximately $25 million annually.
Essential Position Responsibilities
- Manage all budget responsibilities including:
- Prepare monthly financial statements, utilize Status of Funds and Transaction Detail reports within Enterprise Reporting.Create ad hoc financial analysis, including review of progress toward financial goals and the ability to meet revenue and expense projections.Make recommendations based on current revenue and expenditure levels to ensure the department will meet financial goals.Manage colleges fiscal year end process.Work with Operations Manager to review Notice of Appointments for accuracy.Forecast and prepare operational and special budgets including entry into Anaplan, coordinate preparation of reports for departments.Manage foundation accounts and create reports to support Leadership in Strategic Initiatives.Advises staff on financial, technical and operational matters, instructs and orient new members of staff, faculty or administration.Interprets, implements, develops and/or recommends changes to rules, regulations, policies and procedures set forth by the university or outside governing agencies.Work with area coordinators to ensure visibility to budgets and foundation activity.
- Serve as the Service Delivery Team liaison on all purchase, expense reimbursement and travel requests. Review, code and approve all transactions.Review purchasing card transactions bi-monthly, ensure proper coding to match budget.Work closely with the Economic Policy Institute budget, and assure grants are tracked and funding is used appropriately.Oversee hiring process for student worker, partner with Service Delivery Team to facilitate hires.Initiate requests for needed personnel funding changes and position management, coordinate with Operations Manager to execute in PeopleSoft.Review all Ledger transactions monthly for accuracy.Identify all needed Inter-Departmental revenue, payroll and expense transfers. Create support, enter into PeopleSoft and approve.Coordinate annual Course Fee review process within the College.Oversee/Approve/Track student travel and ensure funding is being collected from other NAU departments (or foundation) if applicable.Review, approve and track exceptions to policy.Oversee, track and report on Faculty expenses for professional development.Manage deposits process and monthly reconciliations for departmental revenue and foundation.Oversee foundation check requests and ensure funds are managed and used appropriately, partner with Development Officers in these efforts.Maintain financial files and ensure retention policy is followed.Coordinate tracking of supplemental or PT Faculty with Operations Manager.Oversee catering expenses and ensure appropriate accounts or foundation funds are being used.Oversee college IT inventory process.Other projects/duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field AND 2-4 years of accounting/finance experience
- Master’s degree
- University budgeting experience
- Extensive experience with spreadsheet word processing, electronic messaging, and automated financial systems
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Familiarity with policies and procedures related to public sector budgeting, accounting and personnel.Excellent communication skills.Demonstrated strong analytical skills.Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with different constituencies: administrators, faculty, staff and students.Demonstrated commitment to cultural diversity and ability to work with individuals or groups with diverse backgrounds.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus and NAU-Fort Defiance as these campuses have on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities.
If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
$62,996 - $72,445; commensurate with experience.
**The starting salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected applicant balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Service Professional (SPF) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System or the Optional Retirement Program; 22 days of vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website.
NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
Service Professionals are hired on a contract basis, renewable each 6 months according to terms of the Conditions of Professional Service.
Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. If a new employee chooses the ASRS retirement option, participation in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, will begin on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date. New employees who choose to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP), which is an alternative to the ASRS plan for faculty and other appointed staff, will begin to participate on the first day of employment. Additionally, the long-term disability plan that accompanies the ORP will begin on the first day of employment.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
June 10, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.