Job location: Pasadena, CA
Employment Type: Part-time
Posted data: 2021-06-03
Assist undergraduate students in understanding specific subject matter content; concepts, study skills, and facilitate learning. The Tutor will support individuals and small groups through in-person and online sessions. Will provide students examples of study strategies and practice problems to enhance learning.
This position requires the ideal candidate to maintain student confidentiality and contribute to a friendly and productive learning environment.
This is a part-time position, up to 20 hours per week including some evenings and occasional weekends. This position can be located in Pasadena, San Jose or remote reporting to the Student Success Coach.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Connect with online or at-distance students through phone, email, or ZOOM to provide online tutoring
- Utilize technical tools to facilitate learning and maintain daily functions at the Student Success Center.
- Actively engage and motivate the students in the tutoring process by showing them your support , how you can relate and what best practices worked for you as a student.
- Work with a diverse non-traditional student population to provide individual and small group tutoring in person and online.
- Meet with students on campus/ZOOM to review their assignments.
- Develop support services and reference material as common problem areas are identified.
- Act primarily as a facilitator and evaluator of learning rather than just a source of information.
- Understand students diverse learning styles and backgrounds. Use differentiated teaching and communication techniques to adjust to their varied learning needs, pace, prior knowledge, and language/cultural backgrounds of students.
- Provide constructive feedback and be encouraging of students in their leaning process.
- Schedule tutoring sessions using You Can Book me website.
- Provide feedback to the Student Success Coach after each session
- Send the student a quick survey after the session has ended.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Candidate has been referred by the Dean/professor.
- Student should have earned a grade of A or A- in the course which they will be tutoring in and must be fluent in the course concepts .
- The selected candidate will complete a required tutor training.
- Ability to tutor remotely via phone and online platforms such as email, ZOOM, GoToMeeting, and Microsoft 365
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Previous experience tutoring students with various learning needs and challenges preferred but not necessary.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to interact in a patient and friendly manner with students from all cultural backgrounds, at all levels of language proficiency, and with various learning styles
- Ability to speak in front of large groups and facilitate workshops
- Bi-lingual (Spanish/English) preferred
- Knowledgeable on CANVAS
- Pacific Oaks College Bachelor’s degree
PO graduate students) who received an A or A- in the following courses:
- Bachelor of Arts in Human Development
- Bachelor of Arts in Community Psychology
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood Education - Elementary Education
- Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood Education - Elementary Education and Special Education
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration
- 1-2 years of experience in tutoring or teaching preferred/NOT REQUIRED
- 1-2 years of experience working with English Language Learners strongly preferred/NOT REQUIRED
- APA Style knowledge preferred/NOT REQUIRED
Pacific Oaks offers a generous compensation and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to work for a leader in the field of diversity and social justice. Some of our key benefits include: generous paid time-off, medical, vision, and dental coverage, company-paid life and disability insurance, 403b with employer contribution, multiple flexible spending accounts (FSA), tuition discount, and other perks.
Pacific Oaks is an affiliate of TCS Education System. To apply for this position or others, visit our Careers’ Page at: www.pacificoaks.edu
Pacific Oaks participates in E-Verify and verifies identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Pacific Oaks offers equal employment opportunities to all persons without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, parental status, housing status, source of income or military status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local EEO laws.