Associate Dean MSTB
Associate Dean MSTBPosition Number:
Northern VA Community CollegeAgency/Division:
NV280-Provost ManassasWork Location:
Prince William - 153Hiring Range:
Commensurate with experienceEmergency/Essential Personnel:
A-Officials/AdministratorsFull Time or Part Time:
Full TimeDoes this position have telework options?:
NoDoes this position have a bilingual or multilingual skill requirement or preference?:
Regular business hours and other times as needed.Sensitive Position:
The security of our students, faculty, and staff is very important at NOVA. Please take a moment to review NOVA’s Annual Security Reports
An Academic Associate Dean is a 12-month professional faculty member whose role is to provide high-level administrative support to an Academic Division by assisting the Dean in both campus-based daily operations of the division and, as assigned, to college-wide curriculum leadership responsibilities. The Associate Dean reports to the Dean for their Division. The annual performance evaluation of the Associate Dean will be completed by the Dean but will include evidence of performance from others who work with that Associate Dean in ways that are significant to the success of the college. Math, computer science and engineering will be the primary areas of responsibility for this position.
The Associate Dean cultivates constructive working relationships with the Dean, Program Heads, classified staff, and full-time and adjunct teaching faculty in the division, and collaborates with Associate Deans and staff in other academic divisions as needed. As assigned by the Dean, the Associate Dean may act in the Dean’s place for routine and specialized administrative and academic tasks and perform special projects as assigned.
Duties and Tasks:
• Assists the Academic Dean with day-to-day operations of the academic division.
• Serves as Acting Dean in the Dean’s absence.
• Assists the Academic Dean with college-wide Program Dean responsibilities as needed. This may include assisting with coordination of program and discipline reviews, SLO data collection, and curriculum development. The primary area of responsibility will be math, computer science, and engineering.
• Provides support to the Dean for faculty evaluation and review processes.
• Works collaboratively with the Campus Provost, Division Dean, Program Deans, campus faculty, enrollment management specialists, and Program Heads. Team effort with some or all of these positions includes implementation and management of course schedules, and assignment and monitoring of faculty workloads in the math, computer science, and engineering disciplines.
• For students, manages initial complaints and grievances, as well as requests such as third time course repeats, late registration, late changing of course sections, grade appeals, grade changes, writing or approval of letters of recommendation.
• Assists the Dean with annual unit planning.
• Assists the Dean with monitoring budget expenditures for part-time employment and operations within the Associate Dean’s purview.
• Assists the Dean to orient new full-time faculty and serve as a point-of-contact for faculty questions and concerns.
• Trains faculty on the development and evaluation process and helps them in preparation for evaluation, such as ensuring that faculty prepare Annual Performance and Professional Development goals and in doing annual classroom observation visits.
• Assists the Division Dean in collecting information for division faculty members’ evaluations from Campus Provosts, Program Provosts, and Program Deans of their respective programs, as is relevant to the respective faculty members’ duties.
• Assists in communications with Human Resources about retirements and employee issues as appropriate, and provides assistance as needed to the Provosts and Deans in hiring processes for faculty to be assigned within the division.
• Hires, supervises, and evaluates adjunct faculty in the Division in math, computer science, and engineering;
• Works with others on campus to provide adequate orientation for new adjunct faculty and to provide annual workshops for all adjunct faculty.
• Hires, supervises and evaluates administrative assistants and lab managers assigned to the division, if applicable
• Communicates with the Director of Campus Operations on any building or classroom issues which arise that affect the division.
• As directed by the Dean, addresses other operational, academic, and administrative concerns.
• Engages in outreach activities as assigned.
• Serves on campus and college committees as assigned.
• Initiates, organizes, and completes special projects, as assigned.
May be required to perform other duties as assigned. May be required to assist the agency or state government generally in the event of an emergency declaration by the Governor.KSA's/Required Qualifications:
Superior communication, interpersonal, and time-management skills. Proficient in MS Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint. Ability to work in a collegial environment. Ability to work in a diverse, multi-ethnic, multi-cultural college environment. Ability to supervise, manage, and develop college faculty and staff. Skilled at collaborative leadership. Ability to manage processes and procedures at micro and macro levels. Knowledge of academic assessment methods and activities; ability to assess instructional programs and review students’ learning outcomes to ensure achievement of academic objectives and strategies. Knowledge of and ability to manage educational programs including academic planning. Knowledge of course arrangement and academic planning; ability to provide counseling to assist students in course selection, study skills and career development plans for academic and personal success. Familiarity with federal, state, and local laws and policies relevant to NOVA in order to ensure compliance.
Minimum Qualifications:•Master’s degree or master’s degree with at least 18 graduate semester hours in a discipline taught by the Division. •Qualifying degree and coursework must be from a regionally accredited institution. •Some college-level teaching experience.•Some academic administration experience.Preferred Qualifications:
•At least three years of full-time college-level teaching experience or the equivalent (30 credits = 1 year of FT teaching) is desired.•Significant academic administrative experience.•Experience working at a community college.•Experience with VCCS Math Pathways and/or use of multiple measures for math placement.Operation of a State Vehicle:
PublicNumber of Vacancies:
1Job Open Date:
06/03/2021Job Close Date:
07/02/2021Open Until Filled:
www.nvcc.eduBackground Check Statement Disclaimer:
The selected candidate’s offer is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation, which may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment verification, verification of education, credit checks (relevant to employment). Additionally, selected candidates may be required to complete the Commonwealth’s Statement of Economic Interest. For more information, please follow this link: http://ethics.dls.virginia.gov/EEO Statement:
The Virginia Community College System, an EEO employer, welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and recognizes the benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, the VCCS is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disabilities, political affiliation, veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors.ADA Statement:
The VCCS is an EOE and Affirmative Action Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Acts (ADA and ADAAA), VCCS will provide, if requested, reasonable accommodation to applicants in need of access to the application, interviewing and selection processes.E-Verify Statement:
VCCS uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes.Quicklink for Posting: