Sponsor Funded Executive | Assistant Director
The Department of Middle and Secondary Education at Georgia State University invites applications for the position of Assistant Director of Equity-Centered Professional Learning and Facilitation within the CREATE Teacher Residency Program (titled Collaboration and Reflection to Enhance Atlanta Teacher Effectiveness), a partnership between Georgia State University and Atlanta Public Schools. This program serves teacher candidates from the university as they move into the field of teaching at Atlanta Public Schools (APS), with an overall goal of supporting critically conscious, compassionate, skilled educators who are committed to practices of teaching that prioritize racial justice and interrupt inequities in schools. CREATE approaches this work with 3 goals in mind: (1) recruiting and supporting new teachers who want to start and stay in APS schools, (2) developing teacher leaders and supporting the learning of veteran educators in APS/CREATE schools, and (3) addressing systemic induction challenges through deeper GSU-APS-community collaboration. This is a limited-term, grant-funded position (US Department of Education, Supporting Effective Educator Development grant), with a start date of Summer (preferred) or Fall 2021. Funding is expected through Summer 2023, with possibility of extension for two additional years.
- Facilitate, co-facilitate, and/or manage facilitation of all existing professional learning institutes for CREATE educators, including
- Equity-Centered Critical Friendship (4 day and 8 week institutes)
- CBCT-based Power, Presence, and Impact (4 day and 8 week institutes)
- Cultivating Equity Leadership (1-3 day institute)
- Equity Educators in Action (1 and 4 week institutes)
- Equity Facilitation Fellowship (9 month program)
- Equity Evening Meetings (monthly meetings)
- Co-design and implement a new professional learning institute for veteran educators centered on culturally responsive/relevant/sustaining pedagogies and abolitionist teaching practices
- Draw on current research to further refine racial-justice, liberatory, compassion-based frameworks and curriculum used to guide professional development institutes, ensuring program coherence and scaffolds for educators within and across institutes
- Support the administrative work associated with veteran educator institutes, including budget management, registration processes, participant tracking, etc.
- Work with CREATE research staff to design formative assessments that will inform program improvement and meet overall research goals associated with the CREATE project
- Conduct regular meetings with school principals to understand school-level equity, compassion, and racial-justice initiatives, to determine how CREATE professional learning institutes can support that work
- In collaboration with school leaders, design, propose, and manage implementation of additional customized programs for individual CREATE schools, to include equity-centered critical friendship work at the school level, racial affinity groups for teachers, work with parents on racial justice initiatives, etc.
- Design and manage veteran educator supports and/or institutes for non-CREATE schools in the district, as needed/requested by district leaders
- Mentor and coach all full-time CREATE faculty and staff, as needed, in their development as teachers educators committed to deep equity and racial justice work through their facilitation of coursework, coaching, institutes, academies, and resident “together time” meetings
- Mentor and coach CREATE-trained, school-based equity facilitators and facilitators-in-training through personal development in the service of professional systemic transformation of structural oppression within their schools and district
- Co-design and/or facilitate CREATE whole team meetings, with an eye on equity and justice as it relates to internal team operations, etc
Bachelor's degree and three years of supervisory/management experience; or a combination of training and experience.
Open until filled
College/Business Unit: College of Education & Human Development
Location: Atlanta Campus
Job Posting: 06/03/21, 12:00:00 AM