Sr Assistant Director of Transfer Admissions
Job no: 508525
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Enrollment Management Ops
Categories: Admissions and Enrollment, Professional Staff Union (PSU)
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under the general direction of Associate Director of MassTransfer Admissions, serve as an active participant in undergraduate transfer student recruitment, selection and yield activities in order to meet institutional goals.
- Recruit a highly qualified and diverse pool of transfer applicants to apply for the university by providing accurate and individualized information about admissions and transfer credit, as well as university programs and opportunities. (50%)
- Develop a working knowledge of all university major programs, including prerequisites for admissions, major requirements, and transfer credit policies for all academic departments.
- Develop a working knowledge of the state’s MassTransfer benefits and policies in order to advise and review applications for transfer students in MassTransfer programs at MA community colleges.
- Manage communications with prospective transfer applicants and admitted students, including advising them about transferable coursework at current colleges and remaining requirements to be completed at UMass Amherst. Meet individually with walk-ins and handle phone calls and emails, documenting discussions regarding transfer credit evaluations.
- Evaluate academic credentials presented by prospective students, determine acceptability of transfer credits, and determine general education requirements based upon their previous coursework within the context of statewide agreements and UMass Amherst Gen Ed policy.
- Make admission decisions. Review exceptions or problem cases with Associate Director of MassTransfer Admissions.
- Participate in recruitment activities including community college visits and related admissions presentations. (20%)
- Represent the university at community colleges, college fairs, panel presentations, and related admissions programs, both on- and off-campus.
- Understand, be committed to, and implement university and departmental affirmative action and non-discriminatory regulations, policies, and procedures, as appropriate.
- Collaborate with the Associate Director of Transfer Admissions to develop and plan recruitment events specifically for community college students.
- Assists the Associate Director of MassTransfer. (20%)
- Assist in the application, review, award, and notification processes for the Tuition Advantage Program, Honors to Honors Scholarships, the Community Scholarships, and the Academic Honors Scholarships in collaboration with representatives from Commonwealth Honors College and the Provost’s Office.
- Attend state-wide MassTransfer meetings.
- Assist the Associate Director in creating new articulation agreements and updating existing articulation agreements.
- Routinely review for accuracy all those portions of the Undergraduate Admissions Office web page related to transfer and MassTransfer to ensure their accuracy.
Other Functions (10%)
- Help identify long-term recruiting goals, strategies, and innovative ways to recruit talented students.
- Serve in the absence of the Associate Director of MassTransfer Admissions.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree and 2 years of admissions or advising-related experience including transfer credit evaluation.
- Experience with domestic transfer credit evaluation.
- Experience working with transfer students, especially community college transfer students.
- Ability to work effectively with community college transfer and academic officers.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, writing, speaking, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the undergraduate experience at a major research university.
- Valid driver's license, proof of insurability plus the ability to obtain a university credit card.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, to prioritize, and to achieve goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of computer software including Microsoft Word, Excel, Email and PowerPoint.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Previous experience with a student record system, preferably PeopleSoft.
- Proficient in the use of a CRM, preferably Slate.
- Incumbent reports to the Associate Director of MassTransfer Admissions.
- Performs duties within established policy guidelines.
- Responsible for a defined set of assignments.
- Expected to determine and create the necessary procedures to meets specific goals and objectives.
- Monday - Friday 8:30 am – 5:00 pm.
- Required to travel throughout the academic year, and to work on weekends and evenings as needed.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must apply by the priority deadline of July 3, 2021 in order to ensure consideration. Applications may be accepted after the priority date until a suitable candidate pool has been identified.
To apply, please submit your online application and include a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Jun 2 2021 Eastern Daylight Time