Clerk IV - Administrative Assistant - MIE
Job no: 508672
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Mech & Industrial Engineering
Categories: Administrative/Office Support
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Provide administrative and organizational support to the Department Head and ensure all deadlines are met. Coordinate and schedule departmental meetings, seminars and search candidate travel itineraries and campus visit agendas. Coordinate and maintain Annual Faculty Review reports (AFRs) and faculty promotional material. Create and maintain office management systems for department operation to ensure consistent/transparent records for organization of Head office. Coordinate department newsletter and other promotional material. Proofread and edit departmental documents. Provide administrative support for departmental graduate students assisting the Academic Advisor. Serve as primary point of contact for all incoming requests by a diverse community of faculty/students/visitors requiring a high level of interpersonal skills. Work as a member of the department administrative team involving Department Head, Associate Department Head, Graduate & Undergraduate program Directors, and Administrative Officer.
Administrative Assistant to Department Head:
Faculty Administrative Processes:
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Minimum one year office experience.
- Outstanding organizational and problem solving skills with previous experience in these areas and approaching work with flexibility and minimal supervision.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills with experience in working cooperatively and collaboratively.
- Demonstrated strong computer skills including knowledge of advanced features of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook along with Windows operating system, Adobe Acrobat, Doodle, Teams and Zoom.
- Previous experience handling administrative office functions, scheduling, major projects, overseeing multiple activities in a demanding office environment.
- Ability to work harmoniously with diverse populations of faculty, staff and students along with external industrial partners in an inclusive environment.
- Ability and previous experience in planning, organizing and overseeing events including large meetings, banquets, travel arrangements, and committee activities.
- Ability and previous experience in drafting, proofreading and editing documents; strong attention to detail and excellent writing skills.
- Ability and previous experience in tracking, organizing and inputting database information; manipulating and retrieving data, and producing reports.
- Ability to handle confidential information, be self-motivated, work independently, and exercise good judgement.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
Knowledge of university information systems (i.e., Spire, Peoplesoft, Buyways, Summit, APWS, and Page Up)
Monday through Friday 8:00 to 5:00pm (37.5 hours per week), position expected to start August 9,2021
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please apply online and provide cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references. Please apply by June 26, 2021, in order to ensure priority consideration. Search may remain open until a suitable candidate pool has been identified.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Jun 3 2021 Eastern Daylight Time