Head Baker (Central Bakery)
Job no: 508629
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Central Bakery
Union: PSU Unit B
Categories: Food Service/Hospitality
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Supervise and participate in the preparation of baked goods such as bread, rolls and pastries; decorate cakes and other baked goods; order, receive and store goods; operate equipment such as bread slicers, mixers and ovens; inspect baking ingredients for spoilage; take inventory; maintain records.
- Prepares baked goods by assembling utensils and ingredients; weighing and measuring ingredients; rolling,
- cutting and shaping dough for rolls, bread and pastries; filling molds and pans with prepared food; placing and
- removing trays and pans from oven; mixing fillings, icing, glazes and other toppings and ingredients for bread,
- rolls, pastries and other baked goods.
- Decorates cakes and other baked goods with icing and add fillings to various pastries.
- Provides on-the-job training in order to teach baking skills to employees.
- Evaluate food for quality, appearance and taste through observation and tasting.
- Inspect work and storage areas for compliance with sanitation codes.
- Operates equipment such as bread slicers, large and small mixers and fryolators according to standard procedures.
- Inspects baking ingredients such as flour, sugar and shortening to detect spoilage.
- Cuts, bags, and wraps baked goods and places food in carts or trucks for delivery to other locations.
- Performs related duties such as cleaning and/or sterilizing equipment and work areas.
- Calculates quantity of food to be ordered and served by conferring with staff, checking inventory, reviewing
- menus, and authorizing changes in menu and portions in order to keep supplies of ingredients and baked goods at adequate levels.
- Prepares requisitions for purchasing food supplies and equipment and keeps records on food received, prepared,
- shipped, consumed, left over and wasted in order to maintain accurate control of inventory.
- Prepares reports as required.
- Performs related duties such as conferring with repairmen about malfunctioning equipment and developing new or modified recipes.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- At least one year of full-time, or equivalent part-time, experience in preparing and baking bread, rolls, and pastries in a hotel, restaurant, cafeteria, catering firm, or bakery in a government or private institution, or one of the following substitutions: I. A diploma from a recognized trade, technical, or vocational school at the high school level with a major in baking or II. A culinary degree with an emphasis on pastry.
- Ability to read and interpret weights and measures tables.
- Ability to calculate percentages, ratios and proportions.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to lift and carry heavy objects.
- Ability to give written and oral instructions in a precise, understandable manner.
- Ability to understand and apply the laws, rules, policies and procedures governing the operation of the Auxiliary Enterprises Bake Shop.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Knowledge of the standard methods and techniques used in baking.
- Knowledge of the safety practices and procedures followed in baking.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of materials, ingredients and supplies used in baking such as leavening agents, flour, soda, etc.
- Ability to supervise, including planning and assigning work, training and disciplining.
- Skill in pastry and/or cake decorating.
Incumbents must be certified as food handlers within six months of the appointment start date through a recognized program approved by the University of Massachusetts (i.e., ServSafe).
3a-11a; may include weekends and holidays
PSU B Pay Grade 13
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants should provide a resume, cover letter, and three professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Jun 3 2021 Eastern Daylight Time