10018220 Academic Advisor I
Staff Application - please complete and email with supporting documentsSchool/Department: School of Arts and Letters Primary Location: Dublin Position: Staff Job Type: Full Time Position Close Date: Until Filled Description:
JOB SUMMARY: This position performs integrated academic advisement that supports student retention and graduation for prospective and current students by guiding the students through data informed decision processes. This is a continuous and consistent process, which is built upon the basis of accurate communication and consistent personal contacts between the advisor and advisee. This position requires some evenings and weekend work. The position will be headquartered on the Dublin Campus, but candidate may be required at times to cover multiple MGA campuses; hence, travel to other campuses may be required.
- Assist and accurately guide students in defining and developing realistic educational career plans through academic schedule planning (mapping the curriculum) for each semester.
- Advise students about majors, course requirements, pre-requisite, grades and graduation requirements.
- Assist students in course selection and class registration.
- Plan and coordinate educational events such as information sessions and workshops.
- Monitor progress toward educational goals by meeting with students to discuss the proposed academic program, current grades and other performance indicators.
- Serve as resource specialist to both students and faculty in the development, coordination, and implementation of academic advising services and support.
- Inform and, if necessary, refer students to other institutional resources when academic, attitudinal, or other personal problems require intervention. (Student Success Center, Academic Affairs, Student Affairs, Counseling).
- Assist in the development and distribution of advisement and recruitment materials.
- Coordinate student advising within the assigned academic unit.
- Coordinate and implement advising services at institutional events such as open house and orientation.
- Use institutional data to report on student success and retention.
- Plan and execute retention campaigns.
- Plan and execute call campaigns to build enrollment.
- Participate in on-going professional development.
- Perform related duties as assigned or deemed necessary to meet the Academic Advising goals on any campus.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university.
- Knowledge of computer and job-related software programs.
- Skill in decision making and problem solving.
- Skill in training and coordinating the work of related personnel.
- Skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public.
- Skill in written and oral communication.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Knowledge of admission, registration, and degree program requirements.
- Knowledge of academic standards governing the student population.
- Knowledge of student recruitment and retention principles.
- Experience in higher education, working knowledge of DegreeWorks.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a post-secondary or professional advising position.
- Position in non-exempt (bi-weekly paid)
- Pay Grade 16.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled.
TO APPLY: Application materials should be emailed as a Microsoft Word or Adobe.pdf attachment to: [email protected] with the subject line “Academic Advisor I-SOAL, Dublin, 6.3.2021”. Application materials are to include a resume, an MGA Staff application; a letter of interest which includes salary requirements; and three professional references. Paper application materials will not be accepted.
Background checks will be conducted on all final candidates.Staff Application - please complete and email with supporting documentsA Unit of the University System of GeorgiaEEO/AA/M/F/V/D