Associate Professor of Communication Design (Typography)
Associate Professor of Communication Design (Typography)Job Posting Number:
School of Art and DesignPosition Description:
The School of Art and Design at Texas State University is seeking applications for an associate professor of communication design (typography) with the possibility of tenure (contingent on approval of the Board of Regents). The successful candidate will be part of this vibrant program and contribute to the ever-changing design discipline.
• Teach at the BFA and/or the MFA level;
• Participate in curriculum development;
• Pursue research/creative activity and build a substantive record of professional/peer recognition; and
• Engage in service to the school, college, university, community, and profession.
All positions are subject to availability of funds.Required Qualifications:
Eligible Candidates must have:
• An M.F.A. or M.Des., or Ph.D. degree in communication design, visual communication, graphic design, or related discipline completed by date of hire.
• Minimum five (5) years of demonstrated experience teaching design at higher education level as an instructor of record.
• Record of teaching both undergraduate and graduate level courses in design.
• Graduate-level research/theses supervision.
• Strong design mechanics and conceptual skills.
• Demonstrated expertise in typography.
• Knowledge of and experience with computer-mediated technologies and core software applications relevant to the communication design discipline (e.g., Macintosh OS, Adobe Creative Suite).
• Significant record of scholarly/creative work.
To be eligible for hire at the associate professor rank, candidate must meet the requirements for that rank as established by the department. The successful applicant will receive the appropriate rank and title based on university and school established standards.Preferred Qualifications:
Preference will be given to candidates who have experience in the following:
• Record of service at academic, professional, or community levels.
• Successful grant and funding procurement.
• Demonstrated interest in administrative leadership.
• A demonstrated awareness of and commitment to the integration of diverse and inclusive learning in teaching and curriculum design, e.g., by expanding the established canons in syllabi, community engagement, or research/creative work.
• Curriculum development in communication design courses.
Only applications submitted through the Texas State University website will be accepted and considered, https://jobs.hr.txstate.edu/postings/35187.
To ensure full consideration, please submit the following materials by June 17, 2021:
1. Letter of application stating how your experience and credentials fulfill the
requirements for this position and addressing your current creative work in relationship to the future of the communication design discipline. (not to exceed three pages)
2. Curriculum vitae.
3. Up to 20 digital files (multi-page, single PDF) representing 10 of your creative works (may include time-based excerpts no longer than five minutes each). Include title, media, and date for each work included.
4. Digital files (multi-page, single PDF) of 10 student works created under your direction. Include course title, media, date, and assignment.
5. An example of an assignment that addresses an awareness and commitment to diversity and inclusion in teaching and learning communication design.
6. Contact information (e-mail address, phone numbers) for three current references.
Examples of web/video/animation/motion graphics must be listed as hyperlinks within the PDF file and link to portfolio web sites or video sharing sites such as Vimeo. Do not upload motion graphics files.
All correspondence regarding the search will be conducted via email. Please send any inquires to [email protected] and include job number #202144FAC in all correspondence.
Search finalist will be asked to provide photocopies of graduate transcripts.
The candidate selected for hire will be required to provide official transcripts from all degree granting universities.Proposed Start Date:
Fall 2021 or Spring 2022Review Date:
06/17/2021Open Until Filled?:
Texas State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, committed to inclusive thought and action in support of our diverse community. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups and all those who share our commitment to inclusivity and passion for the strength of our diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
Employment with Texas State University is contingent upon the outcome of record checks and verifications including criminal history, driving records, education records, employment verifications, reference checks, and employment eligibility verifications.
Texas State University is a tobacco-free campus. Smoking and the use of any tobacco product will not be allowed anywhere on Texas State property or in university owned or leased vehicles.
Texas State University is a member of the Texas State University System.
Texas State University is home to more than 38,000 students and 2,000 faculty members in the growing Austin-San Antonio corridor. A member of the Doctoral Universities: Higher Research Activity Carnegie classification, the university creates new knowledge, fosters cultural and economic development, and prepares its growing population of diverse students for the endless possibilities that await them as citizens of Texas, the nation, and the world.
Bolstered by research with relevance and innovation in creative and scholarly work in a full range of academic disciplines and a spirit of inclusiveness, Texas State seeks outstanding candidates for a variety of faculty positions.Quick Link: