Assistant Dean, Graduate Life Office
Assistant Dean, Graduate Life Office🔍Vice Provost for Student Affairs, Stanford, California, United States📁Student Services📅Jun 02, 2021 Post Date📅89807 Requisition #Business Title: Assistant Dean
Unit: Graduate Life Office
Position type: Continuing
- Manage an area or program in student services, analyze effectiveness, and make final decisions on program eligibility.
- Engage in critical analysis of student and program concerns to resolve issues which may span multiple areas, using advanced technical and professional knowledge.
- Serve in on-call rotation as an emergency responder, e.g., represent the University in responding to student and/or University community emergencies. Response may involve working with family members, outside agencies, police, University departments, academic advisors, and friends. The Assistant Dean represents the University during what may be the most difficult time in the life of the student and/or the student's family.
- Provide direct advice to students on a range of issues including, but not limited to, academic progress, academic program policies, career plans, accessibility, community standards, etc., in order to assist them in making appropriate choices and decisions.
- Take leadership in case management of student needs and situations, such as organizing, consulting with, collaborating with, and supporting academic affairs, other student affairs staff, and other University colleagues who are working in support of students.
- Document in timely manner in Student Affairs/GLO database of student cases.
- Develop and implement programming, make strategic recommendations for future programs.
- Analyze and develop report requirements, portals, and student facing communications.
- Manage outreach programs, relationships with external community and university liaisons.
- Interpret and implement university policy related to academic policies; oversee the implementation of policies and practices for a student population or school.
- Manage financial processes and development of budgets.
- Oversee key processes, including contribution and direction on policy and program content.
- Provide consulting advice to internal and external organizations; act as subject matter expert in a specialized field.
- Lead university wide teams and projects.
- Select, train, and supervise student staff such as Community Associates, Orientation Coordinators, and Graduate Student Programming Board staff.
- Contribute to development of staff training and development programs.
- Bachelor's degree and five years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience, preferably in student services and/or higher education administration.
- Master’s Degree preferred.
- Experience with graduate student programs, services, crisis response and case management strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience working with a broad spectrum of people – staff, faculty, students, cross-campus colleagues, etc.
- Advanced communication skills to clearly and effectively communicate information to internal and external audiences, client groups, and all levels of management.
- Strong analytical and problem -solving skills to review and analyze complex information.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and make sound decisions in urgent/crisis situations, sometimes without the benefit of consultation
- Ability to manage multiple priorities efficiently and effectively; work well under pressure
- Advanced computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Advanced student/customer service skills. Possess effective interpersonal skills, including tact, discretion, empathy, and an attitude of service to others.
- Relevant computer systems/technology experience.
- Understanding of financial transactions.
- Ability to ensure and apply compliance with legal, financial, and university policies and external regulations.
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more
- Job Title: Student Services Officer 3
- Job Code: 7503
- Position: Continuing, 100% FTE, Exempt
- Grade: I
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 7503
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: I
- Requisition ID: 89807