Job location: Charlottesville, VA Employment Type:
Full-time Posted data:
The School of Architecture at the University of Virginia is looking for a new Enterprise Systems Lead to be our primary Linux, VMware, and Windows system admin, with a focus on storage systems, virtualization, security, and enterprise services integration. Working with the Director of Information Technology, this position holds primary responsibility for maintaining and developing server systems and architecture, group policy, network integrations, and is the lead for IT security, testing, and threat management.
The position includes three primary areas:
Enterprise Architect and Systems Admin
- Manage, build, develop, and maintain the school’s server platforms, services, and storage, including hardware, software, virtualization, and third-party contract or cloud systems.
- Plan and implement strategies for efficiency, versatility, and right-size.
- Manage and implement backup, failover, and high-availability.
- Manage and implement logging and data analysis for live-view and diagnostics.
- Plan and implement security models for departmental enterprise systems and their integration into UVA security policy. Manage firewall systems and active threat control.
- Stay current on security threats, issues, and approaches.
- Consult on desktop security and its implications for the enterprise.
Scripting, Automation, and Process Improvement
- Use and develop scripts, tools, and workflows to achieve all of the above.
- Help develop and implement business process improvements across the school’s systems.
Our environment is an array of on-prem production server and storage systems, using a combination of Ubuntu Linux (with ZFS), CentOS, VMWare vSphere, and Windows Server. These host over 200 TB of active file storage, backup, web, management and logging, and high-performance virtual-desktop graphics clusters for teaching and research computing.
The School of Architecture is a diverse, technologically rich, and forward-thinking environment with a strong focus on making things and implementing purposeful change throughout the constructed environment. With both standard computing as well as a focus on Computer Aided Design, GIS, digital graphics and media, fabrication, simulation, sensing, data analytics, sustainability, and more, the A-School is a recognized leader in technology and is often first-to-implement in important new areas. Knowledge in these disciplinary areas is not needed for the position, but this is an opportunity to advance, learn, and immerse in an environment of advanced graphics, applied computing, and high-performance research applications.
- A Bachelor’s Degree OR equivalent combination of education, experience, and training
- Demonstrated competency in:
- Technical diagnostic, troubleshooting, and problem-solving skills
- Server and network administration.
- The ability and interest to learn new things, explore new ideas, and implement transformative technology
- 3 or more years of experience
- Demonstrated competency in:
- Linux / Unix systems administration and CLI
- Virtualization (VMWare vSphere, vCenter experience strongly preferred)
- Windows server administration
- Firewall and security management
- Active Directory and Group Policy administration
- Scripting (unix shell, powershell, python, or equivalents)
The selected applicant will be required to complete a background check prior to their first day of employment per University policy.
salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience
PROCESS FOR INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs”, and search for “R0025104".
PROCESS FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS: Please visit UVA job board https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs, and search for “R0025104”
Complete an application online and attach:
- Cover Letter detailing your interest in this position
***Please note that you MUST upload ALL documents into the CV/Resume box.
Applications that do not contain all of the required documents will not receive full consideration. ***
For questions about the application process please contact Rhiannon O'Coin, Senior Academic Recruiter, firstname.lastname@example.org
This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does require occasional physical work on server equipment in the data center, including some lifting (50 lbs), and sometimes requires walking across campus to attend meetings and programs.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.