Human Resources Business Partner
Category:: Administrative / Staff
Department:: 01-53-5377-Human Resources
Locations:: Longmeadow, MA
Posted:: Jun 3, 2021
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Full-Time Salaried (Exempt)
Position ID:: 131801
About Bay Path University:
When Bay Path opened its doors to students in 1897, it had a very clear goal: to provide a practical, affordable, and career-oriented education to meet the needs of companies, organizations, and communities. From the beginning, Bay Path prided itself on being entrepreneurial, constantly pushing the boundaries of the academic experience to fit the student...to start them on the road of success. We still do.
Today, that spirit and philosophy is more important than ever in higher education. At Bay Path, it's not just the number and breadth of undergraduate and graduate programs that defines us-and we have many-but it is our ability to connect the classroom to learning to leadership to experience to career that is at the core of what we do best. We know the work that needs to be done.
Bay Path University, an independent and not-for-profit institution, was named Among Fastest Growing Baccalaureate Colleges by the Chronicle of Higher Education Almanac, and is a member of the Women's College Coalition. With a main campus in Longmeadow, MA and three satellite locations, (East Longmeadow, Sturbridge, Concord), Bay Path offers undergraduate, graduate (for women and men) degrees, and professional certificates.
We're committed to preparing our students to navigate a constantly changing world. Whether it is one of our innovative academic programs, groundbreaking online learning platform, or through our Women as Empowered Learners and Leaders initiative, we educate our students in ways that will help them to grow, learn to adapt, and always to flourish. Be part of the change.
We invite you to visit our website at www.baypath.edu where you can learn more about Bay Path University.
- Position Code: HRBP
- Job Type: Full-time
- Hours: 37.5 hours/week
- Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm
- Position Location: Longmeadow, MA
In partnership with the AVP & Director of Human Resources the HRBP will influence Bay Path University's leadership and drives results for all human resource efforts including the planning, development, implementation and administration of policies, practices, procedures, and programs to ensure uniformity across the organization, in the areas of recruitment/talent management, engagement, performance management, compensation, employee relations, organizational development, training/development and technology implementation.
The HRBP will consult and advise all levels of leadership and employees, and will serve as the single-point-of-contact to their assigned responsibility areas, and will provide cross-coverage and back-up support to others
Builds and Implement HR Strategy and Programs
- Develops and/or implements talent and performance management strategies such as Talent Review, Succession Planning and/or activities designed to promote employee engagement, development, retention, and strengthen talent bench strength that advance organizational talent needs.
- Develops strong relationships with the business through solid business acumen; respectfully challenges the business and offers solutions in the best interests of Bay Path; manages conflict effectively within a matrix organization.
- Proactively consults with management on HR topics; provides coaching and support to management around key people management activities (e.g., recruitment/talent management, engagement, performance management, compensation, employee relations, organizational development, training/development, and technology implementation).
- Proactive participation and collaboration in periodic strategic planning and review cycles; act as the human capital strategy architect to proactively identify and deploy HR interventions to meet business requirements.
- Proactively obtain, interpret and present metrics and analysis to business leaders to inform decisions (performance, attrition, hiring, employee engagement/sensing, and other data).
- Advise leaders on change management, performance issues, responding to employee or community concerns, compliance or ethics investigations, etc.
- Coach designated leaders through change management, performance management issues, etc.
Execute HR Operational Excellence and Services
- Serve as the single-point-of-contact contact providing human resources support and service to an assigned groups.
- Provide training and support to assigned staff including performance evaluation systems, professional development systems, etc.
- Compile and monitor workforce data for assigned groups.
- Accountable for managing off-boarding process and all exit procedures (including the exit interview process) for assigned groups.
- Identify, and recommend operational improvements to streamline internal HR processes and to increase efficiency.
- Develop, deliver and/or oversee specific onboarding and orientation programs.
- Partners with leaders to develop new roles/competencies that support the Bay Path's strategy; updates or develops new job descriptions as appropriate.
- Participate in the development and guidance of performance evaluation for faculty and staff.
- Manage the annual performance evaluation process for assigned groups within established timelines.
- Counsel leaders on staff performance evaluations, disciplinary processes and performance improvement plans, provide professional development resources to employees within assigned schools.
- Influence leaders to uphold all compliance standards and create an environment of compliance/excellence.
- Implement calibration meetings and leverage performance management/program tools and processes in assigned areas.
- Support the development of compensation policies/programs and pay structures based upon internal equity and external market conditions that support the organization's strategic goals, objectives, and values and participate in the plan design, development, and implementation of compensation programs.
- Audit compensation data to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Analyze and interpret policies, law changes, and procedures to support the development and documenting of HR/compensation procedures to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
Employee & Community Engagement/Labor Relations
- Promote and foster a healthy work environment; raise awareness of available programs to assist employees. Implement appropriate employee engagement programs, interpret and drive action planning as a result of employee engagement surveys.
- Proactively resolve employee relation issues, HR investigations, grievances and disciplinary proceedings, and ensures Bay Path's compliance with employment and labor laws.
- Guides employees on matters related to employment, career development, transfer, separation, employee benefits, and/or retirement benefits.
- Provide coaching and assistance to leaders in the appropriate resolution of complaints to ensure consistent and fair treatment of all employees and Bay Path.
- Support employee relations, ethics, or compliance investigations (initial interviews & fact gathering); maintain tracking for issues/concerns and handle inquiries from employees or managers and attending unemployment hearings.
- May lead intra-departmental or organization-wide projects to develop employee best practices and propose new/modified policies and practices in workforce planning, change management, employee relations/engagement, performance management, employee/leadership development, and/or employee recognition.
- Support leadership on additional ad hoc projects as necessary.
- Attend trainings as required
- Perform other duties and tasks as assigned by the University.
- Exhibits comprehensive knowledge of and skill in the interpretation of employment and labor laws, EEO and civil rights laws, including without limitation, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Amendments Act, Section 504, the Rehabilitation Acts of 1973, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, Title IX of the 1972 Education Amendments and FMLA laws and regulations
- HR Information Systems.
- Remain current on employment law and compliance and participate as required in MCAD and EEO issue resolution including the conducting of investigations.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with the clients to gain their trust and respect.
- Must be able to drive continuous improvement and lean activities to improve organizational effectiveness.
- Experience running and analyzing HR reports.
- Experience with multiple clients, dealing with a broad range of HR-related functions.
- Strong project management and organizational skills, bias for action and results orientation.
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills.
- Strong problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong interpersonal savvy and composure especially in critical events.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required with strong customer service orientation.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Effective, active listening skills.
- Organizational and problem solving skills.
- Ability to think strategically and to understand underlying business and organizational issues.
- Ability to develop and execute talent management, performance management, employee relations programs at every level of the enterprise.
- Ability to plan and implement major change initiatives for the university or for the HR Function.
- Ability to cultivate influential and credible relationships across the campus.
- Ability to resolve difficult employee relations issues in a composed, professional and confidential manner.
- Ability to assess and effect the balance required between University policies and practices, human resources operating principles, the identified business need and the needs of the staff member or student.
- Must be able to deal with ambiguity and cope with change.
- Proven ability to manage a wide variety of HR programs, change management and roll-out of HR initiatives.
- Proven ability to build effective partnerships with leadership teams and employees.
- Proven ability to change the business through creative problem-resolution, policy creation or process improvement efforts.
- Has the ability to perform complex analytics, identify trend analyses and interpret data, driving business recommendations.
- Ability to communicate ideas and directives clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business Management or other related discipline.
- 3 - 5 years related Human Resources experience.
- Valid U.S. driver's license.
- Must successfully pass the online safe Driving Course (within 15 days of hire) and driving record check at time of hire and annually thereafter.
- Should be committed to a culture of diversity, equity, respect and inclusion; demonstrated ability to build working relationships with people having a wide variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences different from ones' own.
- Ability to adhere to University policies and procedures.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion and within FERPA and HIPAA guidelines.
- All new employees must complete the FERPA, Anti-Harassment, and any other required online trainings within 15 days of employment.
- General knowledge of the University's mission, purpose and goals and the role this position plays in achieving those goals.
- Must adhere to University COVID-19 testing, symptom tracking and all other COVID protocols established by the University.
- If you operate a University owned, leased or personal vehicle at any time while performing your duties you must follow all policies and procedures outlined in the Operations Manual. You must have a valid driver's license and must successfully pass the online safe Driving Course and driving record check at time of hire and annually thereafter. Additionally, you must report any driving offense, on or off company time, which causes a loss, suspension, or any other change in your license status. You must report this change within one business day of the offense. You can report this change to the Human Resource Department or your direct supervisor. Failure to do so can lead to disciplinary action, up to and including terminations.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Bay Path University is a diverse community devoted to proactively nurturing a campus-wide culture that promotes and ensures equity, respect, inclusion and safety for all members regardless of race, color, national origin, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation and gender identity, socio-economic background, or physical ability. We are one University that opens our hearts and minds to conversations, to learning and to creating a community that is welcoming of all. Regardless of position, it is expected that each employee will embrace this commitment and demonstrate an attitude of respect toward and acceptance of all members of our community.
Applicants for this position should attach a cover letter, resume / curriculum vitae, the contact information for four (4) professional, work related references and any other relevant information pertaining to this position and your candidacy. Please apply online. Faxes and emails will not be accepted.
Bay Path University is dedicated to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty committed to teaching and learning in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from minorities, women and all underrepresented backgrounds. An Equal Opportunity Employer, Bay Path University is committed to fostering diversity in its student body, faculty, and staff.
Bay Path University is a smoke and tobacco-free community.
All offers of employment are contingent on satisfactory background checking.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), if you have a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a position please email us at [email protected] or call 413-565-1168.