Research Technician I
PhysiologyDepartment Website Link:
UAHS - TucsonAddress:
1501 N Campbell Ave, Tucson, AZ 85721 USAPosition Highlights:
The Research Technician I will provide research support to the ongoing National Institutes of Health Phase II Clinical Trial (2020-2025) which will assess the potential for breathing to lower blood pressure in adults with Obstructive Sleep Apnea. The incumbent will assist in the pre- (week 1), post- (week 24), and follow-up assessments (week 28 and 36) and be the point of contact for participants during their weekly lab visits (weeks 1-24). The Research Technician will be primarily responsible for administering routine respiratory assessments, collecting weekly training data, and compiling sleep logs during participants' weekly lab visits. The selected candidate will also be responsible for providing directions to the research site and parking instructions to participants, as necessary.Duties & Responsibilities:
- Collect data during weekly lab visits (weeks 1-24) in an accurate and concise manner. Compile physical activity data from fitness tracker. Collect data for in-home training sessions from respiratory trainer.
- Collect weekly participant logs.
- Administer routine respiratory assessments during weekly lab visits and collect vital signs during pre-, post- and follow-up assessments. Respiratory assessments include maximal inspiratory pressure (PImax) and spirometry. Vitals signs collected include temperature, heart rate, respiratory rate, and pulse oximetry.
- Assist with in-lab training sessions. After establishing PImax, determine training level for each participant and provide instruction and guidance to assure participant is adhering to inspiratory muscle strength respiratory training protocol. Review weekly training logs with participant to identify any issues/concerns.
- Assist in the collection and processing of blood specimens from participants during the pre-, post-, and follow-up assessments. Assist in the shipment of plasma samples to central laboratory (ARUP.)
- Work in conjunction with the PI, research professional, and other lab members to assure study equipment is set-up properly for experiments and provide technical administrative support for ongoing research projects.
- Answer study-related questions clearly and concisely, and be willing to encourage and motivate study participants in completion of their training objectives.
- Abide by the lab's COVID safety precautions, which include the routine use of PPE (including but not limited to the use of N95 respirator, face shield, disposable gowns, and gloves), routine hand-washing and social distancing when possible.
- High school diploma or equivalent, or equivalent learning attained through experience required.
* Bachelors degree in Physiology or other relevant field. * CPR or EMT certification/training. * Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills.FLSA:
Non-ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
$12.75 - $14.00Compensation Type:
1Career Stream and Level:
Research & LabJob Function:
ResearchType of criminal background check required::
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)Number of Vacancies:
1Target Hire Date:
Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
E. Fiona Bailey | [email protected]Open Date:
6/2/2021Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Resume, Cover Letter, and One Additional DocumentSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
Please include 3 references with your application materials.Diversity Statement:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.