James C Wyant Coll Optical SciDepartment Website Link:
Tucson, AZ USAPosition Highlights:
The College of Optical Sciences is seeking applicants for a Mechanical Technician to fabricate, handle and test small and large optical components and assemble complex optical/mechanical systems.
Due to ITAR/EAR restrictions the successful candidate must be a U.S. Citizen or hold permanent resident status.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assembles, performs modifications, troubleshooting, repairs and maintenance on a wide variety of standard and highly specialized mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic and or electronic equipment.
- Set up and operate manual and computer controlled machines under the direction of the Fabrication Manager to lap glass, metal, plastics, ceramics, composites and crystals to proper curve, thickness and surface finish.
- Specifies and assembles sophisticated tooling and test equipment for the fabrication and testing of optical components appropriate to projects.
- Operates many types of equipment including highly sophisticated, specialized unique systems designed and constructed solely for scientific research projects.
- Handles precision small and large optical components. Assists in the design and use of specialized fixtures for handling large optical components.
- Due to ITAR/EAR restrictions the successful candidate must be a U.S. Citizen or hold permanent resident status.
- Associates' Degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through experience required and a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience required in addition to education requirement; OR High school diploma or equivalent and Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience required.
Non-ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
4Career Stream and Level:
Research & LabJob Function:
ResearchType of criminal background check required::
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)Number of Vacancies:
1Target Hire Date:
6/21/2021Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
6/2/2020Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Resume and Cover LetterSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.