Research Technician I
Environmental Science-ResDepartment Website Link:Location:
Tucson, AZ USAPosition Highlights:
Performs field sampling from different destinations and conducts laboratory experiments and processing of environmental samples as needed using knowledge in environmental microbiology techniques. Performs antimicrobial efficacy testing as part of the laboratory's University service work.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.Duties & Responsibilities:
- Conduct or assist with antimicrobial efficacy studies with bacterial and viral species using advanced cultural methods including mammalian cell culture.
- Assist with various grant-funded research projects as needed including participating in field sampling and the concentration, processing, recovery, and detection of microorganisms from environmental samples.
- Perform laboratory experiments and assays including the identification of bacterial and viral indicators and pathogens in various water matrices / biosolids.
- Maintain detailed records on the results of the tests/experiments conducted.
- Assist with data analysis, project reporting, and manuscript preparation.
- High school diploma or equivalent, or equivalent learning attained through experience may be required.
- Ability to drive according to the University Fleet Safety Policy.
- Bachelor's degree - environmental micobiology.
- At least 2 years of laboratory experience including the following:
- Experience in the microbiological concentration, processing, recovery, and detection of microorganisms from environmental samples, and
- Experience in conducting antimicrobial efficacy experiments.
Non-ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
1Career Stream and Level:
Research & LabJob Function:
ResearchType of criminal background check required::
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)Number of Vacancies:
1Target Hire Date:
6/14/2021Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
6/3/2021Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Resume and Cover LetterSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.