Communication Specialist, School of Molecular & Cellular Biology (142550)
School of Molecular and Cellular Biology
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Communications Specialist in the School of Molecular & Cellular Biology will work collaboratively with faculty and staff to promote the school and its programs. The specialist will develop digital and print communications that raise the visibility of the school’s research achievements and partnerships, its innovative and successful educational programs, and its outreach initiatives to a variety of audiences, including alumni, students (current and prospective), faculty, and peers. The Communications Specialist will be a team member who works to advance the strategic and programmatic interests of the school. The nature of the work will entail frequent interaction with faculty, staff, students, both singly and in groups as well as with alumni.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu.EEO.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Design, write and produce professional digital and print media pieces, fliers, brochures, emails, signs, posters, and promotional materials for the school and its undergraduate and graduate programs.
- Assist with MCB website updates, including assigning and posting stories about research, producing alumni and student profiles, and posting Instructional Program-related matters.
- Plan and execute communications-related aspects of an Alumni Mentorship Program in the School of MCB. Advertise mentorship opportunities to MCB students through print, emails and workshops. Other duties include communication with alumni, planning and executing an annual event and reception for mentors and mentees, etc. Conduct orientation meetings for students who apply to the program. Request feedback from students and their mentors and evaluate program based on feedback. Maintain a database of biology alumni who are or have participated in the mentoring program.
- Create and post "slides" for School and IP monitors/kiosks located in our buildings. Work with School F&S to maintain and install monitors/kiosks as needed.
- Take photos and videos at MCB awards and IP events so that they can be used in communications media.
- Prepare electronic files to be sent to companies or processed on campus to produce research illustrations to be displayed in the Learning Center or in the MCB hallways.
Position Requirements and Qualifications
Required: Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business administration, communications, public relations, or a closely related field.
Preferred: Bachelor's Degree in Communications, English, Journalism, Graphic Design, or a related communications or biological sciences field.
Required: One year of professional experience working in promotions, public relations, communications, journalism or a related professional area. Experience creating communications materials aimed at students and or university alumni.
Preferred: Experience creating digital media for social media platforms and familiarity with analytics.
The successful candidate will have:
Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Cloud, including Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator, basic understanding of HTML. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both written and oral. Awareness of, and sensitivity to, cultural and linguistic differences. Commitment to diversity and inclusion. Self-starter with proven ability to plan and prioritize workload with attention to project details. Demonstrated collaboration with contractors, such as printers. Ability to work in a team environment and with maintaining collaborative working relationships with faculty, staff, students, and alumni. Possess a passion for and experience with promoting research. Experience in higher education and familiarity with University of Illinois systems, procedures, and programs such as Webtools.
Salary and Appointment Information
This is a full-time Civil Service Marketing Associate position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Applications must be received by June 30, 2021. Apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. To complete the application process:Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms.Step 3) Upload your cover letter, resume (months and years of employment must be included), academic credentials (unofficial transcripts or diploma may be acceptable), and names/contact information for three references.
In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, contact [email protected]. For questions about the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Convictions are not a bar to employment.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment.College Name or Administrative Unit:KV Category:2-Administrative Title:Communication Specialist, School of Molecular & Cellular Biology (142550) Open Date:06/02/2021 Close Date:06/30/2021 Organization Name:MCB Operations