Crop Transformation Facility (CTF) Molecular Genotyping/Tobacco Transformation Technician - Car...
Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology
University of Illinois
Crop Transformation Facility (CTF) Molecular Genotyping/Tobacco Transformation Technician
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
This position's primary function will be genotyping tobacco and soybean cultivars by PCR and copy number analysis, as well as assisting with transformations & tissue culture.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Genotyping of tobacco and soybean cultivars (DNA isolation, PCR, copy number analysis, shipping samples) including fieldwork sampling.
Transformation & tissue culture of tobacco cultivars
Organization of samples & reagents, data management, lab notebook keeping
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Required: Bachelor’s degree in Agricultural or Life sciences major
- Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in Molecular biology or Agronomy management
- Required: One-year full-time work experience in a crop molecular biology research laboratory
- Preferred: Two years full-time work experience in laboratory crop molecular genotyping laboratory
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Required: DNA Isolation, Genotyping by PCR, Genetic transformation and tissue culture of tobacco, sterile technique
- Preferred: Experience of electronic lab notebooks for molecular biology work (e.g. Benchling)
- Willingness to perform routine repetitive tasks in a laboratory with non-hazardous materials.
- Willingness to work with and sample from on-farm field experiments.
- Other/Comments: Proper organization of samples, data collection, and notebook procedures must be followed and close communication with pipeline-(sub)manager(s) is expected Understanding of agronomy and organization of crop field experiments.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
Appointment Status: Full-time academic professional, grant-supported appointment renewable annually pending continued funding and satisfactory progress within the position. Qualified individuals will be eligible to receive vacation, sick, and personal leave; retirement through the State Universities Retirement System; and group health, dental, vision, and life insurance.
Start Date: As soon as possible after the close date.
TO APPLY: Applications must be received by June 23, 2021. To apply, all candidates must submit an online profile through https://jobs.illinois.edu by the close of the posting period. Interviews may be conducted prior to the closing date; however, a hiring decision will not be made until after the closing date. Qualified candidates must upload a letter of which details qualifications noted above, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. For further information about this specific position, Jacinda King ([email protected]). For questions about the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Convictions are not a bar to employment. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility.College Name or Administrative Unit:OVCRI Category:6-Research Title:Crop Transformation Facility (CTF) Molecular Genotyping/Tobacco Transformation Technician - Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology (146470) Open Date:06/02/2021 Close Date:06/23/2021 Organization Name:Institute for Genomic Biology