To provide clinical information regarding technical questions related to clinical laboratory test orders, specimen collection, processing, transportation, and tracking up to test resulting. Client Services is responsible for determining if a test can be added to an existing specimen and then follow up to ensure completion of the request. This position is responsible for handling escalated requests to notify physicians of alert values after hours and/or when the performing laboratory is unable to contact the physician. Client Services is the only department in the health system that understands the complexity of our DUHS Clinical Laboratories' clients and the tracking, routing and transportation of specimens from hospitals and clinics to performing laboratories.
- Handle and assist with Clinical and Anatomic Pathology requests, questions, and issues.
- Order tests within the (Maestro Care and Beaker Requisition Entry) Phlebotomy collection lookup to determine the status of inpatient collections.
- Investigate and determine resolution for Beaker packing lists and Gajema Container Lists (specimen tracking) from Duke Clinics and Duke Clinical Labs.
- Demonstrate knowledge of where specimens from remote clinic locations are routed; Duke Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital or Duke Raleigh Hospital.
- Investigate missing specimens to determine if there is an acceptable or alternate specimen that has the same date and time of collection needed for the missing specimen. Fulfill requests to investigate missing specimens from technologists, clinics, and providers.
- Research specimen collection, process and ship over 3000 Gen Code (miscellaneous and esoteric) tests, which are not performed at Duke and are not in the Electronic test catalog.
- Provider notification of Critical Results. Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Work requires an Associate's degree in a heath related field or two years of experience working in a clinical laboratory. Preferably, MLT, Associate's Degree or equivalent.
Work requires at least two years of work experience in a clinical laboratory and customer service in a medical setting with strong communications skills and working knowledge of medical terminology.
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.