Appointment Coordinator - Medicine Clinic
Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S News & World Report named Duke University Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in 2018-19.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology, and urology.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Location: Durham 27710
Scheduling: Monday-Friday, 8a-4:30p
General Description of the Job Class
Coordinate and perform a variety of duties associated with appointment scheduling for clinic visits, studies and procedures. Typically serves as the first point at which a patient is registered into Duke Health System.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Review and coordinate appointment requests, determine appropriate services, physician and appropriateness of setting.
- Identify correct patient in Maestro Care, verify patient demographic and insurance data.
- Notify patients of co-payment requirements and outstanding balances.
- Coordinate labs and procedures in accordance with phsyician preferences. Notify patients of testing date, time and location.
Required Qualifications at this Level
Minimum of one year of work experience in directly communicating and providing service to patients or public; preferably in a healthcare related field. Experience in effectively coordinating multiple tasks or activities.
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification
Work requires knowledge of basic grammar and mathematical principles normally acquired through high school education
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication.
- Basic PC and data entry skills.
- Knowledge of medical terminology and telephone etiquette.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work, provide oral and written instructions, interact tactfully with customers and establish and maintain effective relationships with others.
- Must be able to apply specific departmental policies rules and regulations relating to verifying patient information, collecting payments and maintaining records and forms.
Distinguishing Characteristics of this Level
- The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.