Manager of Science Lab Operations
Job no: 498772
Department: Mathematical & Physical Science -Middletown Campus
Location: Middletown, OH
Work type: Salary Staff
Categories: Administration, Research, Scientific
Status: Full Time
Manager of Science Lab OperationsJob Summary:
Manager of Lab Operations provides necessary chemistry/geology/physics lab & administrative expertise to execute instructional labs for chemistry, geology, science education and oversees the execution of all science labs offered by the Department of Biological Sciences at the Middletown Campus. Consults with the department chairs on expenditures; responsible for purchasing for above disciplines and approving purchases made by the Biological Sciences Lab Coordinator. Supervises the Biological Sciences Lab Coordinator and student employees for the Department of Mathematical and Physical Sciences and the Department of Biological Sciences and coordinates the use of all lab classrooms in Levey hall.Duties/Physical Demands:
• Oversees day-to-day operations of science labs: maintains up-to-date information in lab preparation binders for each chemistry course taught, delegates & coordinates daily activities in the lab for Biological Sciences Lab Coordinator and student workers, manages lab set-ups and clean-up, and maintains and repairs equipment and instrumentation (worth >$250,000) in a timely manner.
• Purchases supplies, equipment, and services for multiple accounts and maintains up-to-date documentation of these activities. Communicates with faculty and staff at Miami University (all campuses) and outside vendors to successfully complete such tasks.
• Responsible for reconciling credit card statement/receipts and creating monthly expense reports for Department of Mathematical and Physical Sciences and Department of Biological Sciences.
• Performs complex chemical techniques requiring extensive knowledge of chemical properties, chemical safety (including selecting proper engineering controls and personal protective equipment [PPE]), and proper disposal of hazardous materials, and works with faculty and instructors to update, improve, and troubleshoot lab procedures and exercises.
• Prepares, coordinates, and supports STEM outreach activities and various workshops occurring in the science laboratories throughout the calendar year, including purchasing supplies and arranging catering for participants utilizing multiple accounts.
• Supervises Biological Sciences Lab Coordinator and student workers in the chem prep lab in Middletown, including the development and implementation of a training program addressing safe handling of hazardous materials, the importance of PPE, and other lab techniques to ensure safe lab practices within the prep lab.
• Plans/implements a professional development plan for the Biological Sciences Lab Coordinator; Manages the completion of departmental, campus, and university forms for General Accounting, including credit card statements, reimbursements, and expense transfer requests, with independent decision-making in most areas.
• Coordinates with Director of Physical Facilities and contractors on projects or maintenance in the chem labs and provides necessary technical expertise when needed.
Bachelor's degree in Chemistry or other closely related field; 3-5 years of experience doing a wide variety of analyses in a wet chemistry lab.
Position not eligible for H-1B sponsorship.
Consideration may be given to candidates with a Master's degree in Chemistry or other closely related field, know wet chemistry techniques and demonstrate accuracy; know hazards of chemicals used and how to prevent hazardous conditions/chemical exposure; complete 1 year of GenChem, 1 year of Organic Chem and 1 Analytical course.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Know wet chemistry techniques and demonstrate accuracy; know hazards of chemicals used and how to prevent hazardous conditions/chemical exposure; complete 1 year of GenChem, 1 year of Organic Chem and 1 Analytical course.Special Instructions to Applicants:
Inquiries may be directed to Kelli Bray at [email protected]EO/AA Statement/Clery Act:
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40 years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry), pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to [email protected] or 513-529-3560. As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2223.Date to Begin Screening Applicants:
Screening of applications begins on June 14, 2021 and continues until position is filled.Benefits Eligible:
A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free campuses.
For questions regarding reasonable accommodations for disabilities, or to follow-up with a request, please contact [email protected] or (513) 529-3560.
Advertised: 02 Jun 2021 Eastern Daylight Time