Permanent Staff (SHRA)Is this an internal only recruitment?:
Research Technician - JourneyWorking Title:
Research TechnicianPosition Number:
P012642Budgeted Hiring Range:
$35,016 – $42,000Pay Band Information:
To learn more about the pay band for this branch and role, please see the Career Banding rates spreadsheet.Salary Grade Equivalent:
Full-Time Time-LimitedIf time-limited, estimated duration of appointment:
up to 3 yearsHours per week:
Monday – Friday, 8am – 5pmDepartment Name and Number:
LCCC - UCRF-426805Date First Posted:
Chapel Hill, NCPosition Posting Category:
Research ProfessionalsDepartment Description:
The Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center is one of 40 National Cancer Institutute designated comprehensive cancer centers around the country. The Center’s mission is to reduce cancer occurrence and death in North Carolina and throughout the nation, through research, training, and outreach.
The goal of the Mouse Phase 1 Unit (MP1U) is to validate cancer therapies in preclinical mouse models of human cancer. Towards that end, the MP1U has expertise in genetically engineered mouse models, genomics & bioinformatics, pharmacokinetics & pharmacodynamics, and the microbiome.Equal Opportunity Employer:
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.Position Description:
THIS IS A REPOST. PREVIOUS APPLICANTS ARE STILL BEING CONSIDERED AND NEED NOT REAPPLY.
This is a time-limited position with an estimated duration of up to three years.
The MP1U is seeking to immediately add a research technician to our team. The primary purpose of this position is to assist the MP1U with mouse breeding, monitoring experimental subjects, and recording data. Animal handling is the primary function of this job, and the successful applicant will have demonstrated a willingness and ability to work with mice. The MP1U will train the successful candidate to achieve the high level of proficiency required to complete studies.
The candidate will also utilize molecular biology skills with certain procedures (such as but not limited to PCR, nucleic acid extraction and quantification, running and imaging DNA gels, etc.). Candidate must demonstrate exceptional organizational, experimental, and problem-solving skills, and excellent written and oral communication skills. The candidate must be able to work in a fast-paced environment, and abide by all pandemic-related workplace safeguards.Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
Demonstrated possession of the competencies necessary to perform the work.Essential Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Comfortable with animal (rodent) handling
- Demonstrated ability to work within a group and independently
- Demonstrated ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint
- Demonstrated ability to perform basic laboratory work e.g. using balance, analytical balance, preparing chemicals and solutions, using pipettes
- Understanding of laboratory math (college General Chemistry course level)
- General understanding of principals of the scientific method
- Understand the bases of experimentation (ie needs for experimental controls)
- Strong organizational and written/verbal skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent at time management
- Minimum 6 months working with laboratory animals
- Experience in performing procedures such as injections by varying routes and survival surgery in lab mice.
- Undergraduate degree in life sciences (Biology, Animal Science, or related)
- Experience with tissue culture
- Experience with tumor models
- Experience maintaining a colony of transgenic mice
- Experience with non-invasive animal imaging techniques
Animal Handler (non-DLAM), Carcinogen handlers (Labworkers), Exposure to Bloodborne Pathogens, Exposure to Hazardous Materials, Laboratory, On-call occasionally, Overtime occasionally, Weekend work occasionallyStimulus/ARRA Funded: