Permanent Staff (EHRA NF)Department:
ITS - Comm Technologies-608000Working Title:
Wireless ArchitectAppointment Type:
EHRA Non-FacultyPosition Posting Category:
Information TechnologySalary Range:
$74,500 - $120,000Full Time/Part Time?:
Full-Time PermanentHours per Week:
00052037Posting Open Date:
06/16/2021Open Until Filled:
NoProposed Start Date:
ITS Communication Technologies designs, supports and maintains the communication systems, network and telephony infrastructure for the campus. The department also charts new directions and capabilities for integrated telecommunications and high-speed networking.
Our networking group is responsible for monitoring and maintaining the IT infrastructure for the entire UNC-Chapel Hill campus. Our goal of maintaining and evolving a high-performance, high-availability networking environment positions us to stay ahead of the needs of the faculty, staff and students in their education, research, administration and service missions.
The Wireless Architect is responsible for:
-Architecture of one of the largest wireless networks in higher education of approximately 10,000 Aruba access points connecting over 60,000 unique devices a day to the UNC campus network.
-Being the subject matter expert on all issues related to 802.11 wireless.
-Providing operational support in addition to strategic guidance
-Engaging with customers to determine their needs
-Participating in industry and vendor conferences and panels
-Effectively manage vendors, which includes competitive evaluation of products, the recommendation of product selection to management, and coordination of issues between the campus and the vendor.
-Helping to maintain the campus switching / routing environment
-Guiding the expenditure of over $1M annually in wireless life-cycle / maintenance / improvements.
Master’s and 1-2 years’ experience or Bachelors and 2-4 years’ experience or will accept a combination of related education and experience in substitution.Qualifications and Experience:
- Significant experience and working knowledge with 802.11 wireless technologies
- Experience managing Aruba wireless deployments
- Must be able to move equipment that may weigh up to 60 lbs. Some locations are difficult to access and may require the use of ladders.
- Valid NC driver’s license or ability to obtain license within 30 days of hire
- Good communication skills
- CWNA with emphasis on CWDP and CWNE certifications
- Comprehensive knowledge of 802.11 wireless standards and associated protocols
- Experience deploying, managing, and migrating to Aruba 8.X environments
- Experience in wireless site design including modeling, signal attenuation measurement, interference detection and mitigation, and post install validation
- Experience in managing a wireless environment in excess of 5,000 APs
- Knowledge of 802.1X, RADIUS and Network Access Control
- Experience and working knowledge with Enterasys, Cisco, Extreme and Arista
- Experience in Network Management and Monitoring software (specific experience with Airwave and Nyansa Voyance)
- Experience with supporting / engineering / maintaining large networks in higher education
- Ability to be autonomous and self-directed
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Experience in managing small teams
- One to two years of supervisory experience
- Experience in Project Management
- Experience in managing vendor relationships
- Technical leadership experience in wireless or networking related working groups, constituency groups, advisory boards, and professional associations
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.