Department Head - Agricultural and Human Sciences (AHS)
PG190921EPInternal Recruitment :
Department Head - Agricultural and Human Sciences (AHS)Anticipated Hiring Range:
Commensurate with ExperienceWork Schedule:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
Agricultural and Human SciencesAbout the Department:
The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at North Carolina State University (NC State) invites applications for the position of Head of the Department of Agricultural and Human Sciences. The department’s mission is to improve the education, health, and economic well-being of youth, families and communities. As an interdisciplinary department, faculty disciplines represent a number of fields to include, but not limited to, human development, nutrition, public health, family science, agricultural and extension education, and leadership. We accomplish our mission through academic programs, Extension and engagement, and research.
We educate current and future professionals to work with youth and families in community-based organizations; prepare agriculture professionals for teaching positions in private and public schools; prepare extension educators; and prepare for other professions in the public and private sector. We do this through our undergraduate and graduate degree programs and graduate certificate programs and minors.
EXTENSION AND ENGAGEMENT:
We develop, implement, evaluate, and disseminate research and evidence-based programs and resources for Extension professionals, industry professionals, agricultural teachers, and the public. These programs and resources support Extension professionals in agriculture, family and consumer sciences, and youth development; related industry professionals; volunteers; and other professionals in the field.
We conduct applied research focused on contemporary and emerging issues facing youth, families, communities, educators, and industry leaders related to teaching, learning, leadership, and extension engagement.
In pursuit of the mission of the department, our faculty sub-disciplines can be categorized in two broad areas of specialization:
- Agricultural and Extension Education
- Youth, Family, and Community Sciences
The Department Head (Head) must provide intellectual and organizational leadership and effective management to academic, extension, and research programs in a dynamic interdisciplinary department with a strong reputation for excellence. The Head will create an environment that facilitates an effective shared vision; a highly productive, innovative, entrepreneurial and collegial faculty and staff; collaborative opportunities; and a mutually supportive, diverse and intellectually stimulating environment for faculty, staff and students.
As the department’s academic leader and administrative officer, they will lead faculty and staff in implementing and enhancing the undergraduate and graduate programs, cooperative extension and outreach activities to ensure that the programs remain responsive to the evolving needs of students and stakeholders. The Head has a key role in the recruitment, retention, and development of faculty and staff; oversees planning and evaluation of the Department’s academic, research, and Extension programs; and is responsible for allocation and accountability of the departmental budget. The Head will work closely with others in the department to assure timely dissemination of information to the Department’s stakeholders. The Head will foster an environment of diversity and inclusion as well as promote mutually beneficial working relationships within and external to the department.
The Head will also represent, promote, and advocate for the department within the college (Dean and Directors) and the university. The successful candidate will interact with alumni and other private and public stakeholders, and assist in attracting external support (including fundraising) for educational programs, cooperative extension, and research initiatives and centers. The Head is expected to promote collaborations and partnerships with other University departments as well as state, national, and international organizations and/or entities. This position is viewed as a full-time administrative position.Minimum Education and Experience:
- Requires doctorate degree in related discipline aligning with the mission of the department, or a doctorate with equivalent professional experience in an area aligned with the mission of the department.
- The applicant should currently hold the rank of Professor with tenure and have a record of outstanding professional achievement in the field, with a working knowledge of current events and policies that are related to or can impact the Department.
The successful candidate must have:
- A commitment to excellence in teaching, research and Extension appropriate to a land-grant university.
- Be able to communicate effectively with faculty, staff, students, administrators, relevant external stakeholder groups, and the public.
- Previous successful experience in personnel and budgetary management.
- Exceptional leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Experience and a commitment to mentoring faculty throughout their career.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Ability to interact with the highest levels of University leadership and local and state officials, delivering a consistent message and positive image for the Department and the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.
- Working knowledge of cooperative extension, agricultural education, and youth, family and community sciences.
- The successful candidate should provide dynamic and visionary leadership.
- Administrative and extramural funding experience.
- Valid NC Driver’s License or the ability to obtain within 60 days of start.
YesCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
04/29/2021Anticipated Close Date:
Open until filled.Special Instructions to Applicants:
In addition to your application please submit a cover letter, CV, and the contact information for three (3) professional references.
INTERNAL ONLY – This position is intended for current, permanent, NC State Employees only.Position Number:
EHRA Non-FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Mandatory - Medical EmergenciesIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
111401 - Agricultural and Human SciencesAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.