Maintainer II - Grounds (Multiple Positions)
Job no: 508698
Position type: Staff Full Time
Benefit Status: Benefited-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: Facilities Operations&Services
Salary: Grade 11 - Step 1 to Step 14 $1420.51/biweekly to 1929.46 bi-weekly
Applications Open: Jun 03 2021
Applications Close: Open until filled
General Summary of Position:
Incumbents of positions in this series perform custodial, grounds keeping or maintenance tasks in a state educational institution. The basic purpose of this work is performing various manual tasks required for the routine maintenance of the buildings and grounds of an educational campus. First shift, 6:30 a.m. - 3 p.m., Monday-Friday.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
Applicants must have at least one year of full-time or equivalent part-time, experience in performing manual labor in connection with the general construction or Grounds maintenance work.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to work in a team setting
- Ability to lift and carry heavy objects
- Ability to stand for prolonged period of time
- Ability to climb and work from ladders and scaffold
- Manual dexterity
- Physical stamina and endurance
- Ability to work efficiently & productively both independently in team setting
- Ability to operate tree trimming equipment
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle
- Knowledge of the methods followed in building custodial, maintenance, and groundskeeping work
- Knowledge of the types and uses of materials, tools and equipment used in building, maintenance, and groundskeeping work
- Knowledge of the terminology and standard abbreviations used in connection with groundskeeping
- Knowledge of the proper care and maintenance of equipment used in groundskeeping
- Knowledge of the types and uses of hand-held power tools such as chain saws, hedge trimmers, etc.
- Knowledge of the techniques followed in weed control
- Knowledge of the procedures followed in pruning and cutting trees
- 24-hour on-call during inclement weather and ability and willingness to be Essential Personnel
- DOT Medical Card
- MA Hoisting License, minimum of 2D
Based on assignment, a current and valid Massachusetts Class 3 or Motor Vehicle Operator’s License may be required
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal (MTA - Maintenance & Trades Bargaining Union) candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
This is a MTA - Maintenance & Trades Bargaining Union position Grade 11 - Step 1 to Step 14 $1420.51/biweekly to 1929.46 bi-weekly.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume with your application. Names and contact information for three professional references will be requested at the time of application. Submission of a cover letter is optional.