Purchasing/Payment Coordinator (4722C) - ERSO
Purchasing/Payment Coordinator (4722C) - ERSO About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 6/16/21
Engineering Research Support Organization (ERSO) supports 240+ faculty affiliated with 22 campus-wide departments, schools and colleges, with over $182 million in research awards. The mission of ERSO is to partner with all the members of the ERSO community so they can pursue world class teaching, research and public service. Our priorities are to attract, develop, and retain staff who value professional excellence and embody a service mindset; Create an infrastructure that promotes efficiency, provides transparency, and facilitates compliance; Always striving to improve through feedback from the ERSO community and campus partners. The ERSO team supports the College of Engineering, College of Environmental Design, The School of Information and various organized research units, centers and institutes.
The Purchasing/Payment Coordinator provides procurement and payment support and services to the ERSO Region. As part of a service organization, the Purchasing/Payment Coordinator is expected to train, instruct and advise customers on various procurement and payment methods available, as well as advise on University, Federal and State policies and procedures. This position requires a higher degree of autonomy. Working knowledge of UCB policies and procedures is required in applying standard administrative guidelines in resolving problems. This requires frequent research and determination of the appropriate payment or procurment; as well as performs a high volume environment, processing payment, and reimbursements. This position is responsible for coverage of duties when other purchasing/reimbursement coordinators are on vacation or not present.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. We offer the freedom to grow with career development programs as well as promote an environment of optimal health, wellness, diversity and belonging, through campus programs and work/life balance. Candidates are strongly encouraged to check out the Berkeley Workplace Culture at this link: http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html. If you are interested in learning and growing with a great team, we are interested in meeting you!
80% Procurement/Payment/Reimbursement Administration:
- Provides full scope of procurement, reimbursement, and payment functions to entire ERSO community, including travel and entertainment reimbursements. Process payments to individuals such as honorarium, participant support, cash prizes, etc. Advises, instructs, and supports users regarding University procurement, reimbursement, and payment policies and procedures. Establish new vendors in campus database by coordinating with vendor and central campus department responsible for establishing vendors. Conducts procurement, payment, and reimbursement activities by using the ERSO Intranet and campus enterprise BearBuy & Reimbursement systems. Ensures all relevant documents are retained electronically for respective orders for department record retention. Understanding of the chart of accounts, including assigning the appropriate account code of expense type and working in the correct Org Node.
20% Problem Resolution/Customer Support:
- Provides customer service support as a member of the ERSO email aliases, in a professional, timely, authoritative, and consistent with ERSO processes and UC policies. Proactively follow-up with customer throughout the resolution process clear information in written and/or verbal format to inform the customer of the final resolution. Participate in team meetings to define, enhance, and recommend changes to processes to gain efficiencies. Resolve any payment issues - reissue payments, research payments, etc. Communicate in a friendly manner and provide excellent customer service.
- Ability to work with the customer base in a friendly, courteous and proactive manner using the telephone, e-mail and fax systems to communicate
- Good follow-up skills, using the telephone and email communicating with the customer.
- Ability to provide potential solutions to supervisor when facing a problem or issue not previously encountered.
- Thorough knowledge of financial processes, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to work in a high paced, high performing team.
- Ability to be adaptable. Capable of adapting to others and new situations
- Must be detail oriented by providing rigorous attention to detail to ensure all documents, including calculations are correct prior to forwarding information on to other departments.
- Comprehensive knowledge of and ability to apply BUS 79, 77, 34, and 43, as well as UCB BluCard (Business Credit Card Guidelines) and UCOP travel policy, G28 and UCOP moving and relocation policy, G13.
- Business Bulletin 43 Employee-Vendor Relationships Material Management Part 7I
- Insurance Requirements/Certificates of Insurance Bulletin 63.
- Independent Contract Guidelines Business Bulletin 34 Independent Consultants.
- Knowledge of payments to Foreign Individuals/Visa Status/Tax Treaty Laws, Business Credit Card Guidelines, BFS, BearBuy Basic Equipment/Fabrication guidelines.
- Procurement, Business and Contracts Principles of Purchasing, General Sales Tax Laws.
- Working knowledge of the Berkeley Financial System, Reimbursement System, and BearBuy.
- Intermediate level of understanding associated with accounting principles and reporting, e.g. bookkeeping skills.
- Knowledge of and ability to use such office systems as MS Word, EXCEL, ACCESS, Google Docs.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
- The hourly salary range designated for this position: $30.00 - $32.00; however, starting salary will be commensurate with experience.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=19227&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency