Project Manager (8822U) - 19141
Project Manager (8822U) - 19141 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: June 16, 2021
We provide core infrastructure technology services to the campus, a common, reliable, standards-based technical environment, and cyber-infrastructure for research and education. Infrastructure services include:
- Data Center Colocation - providing campus customers a secure location and network connectivity for housing mission-critical servers.
- Endpoint Operations and Services (EOS) - is your one-stop shop for endpoint devices. Our team manages the campus standard Berkeley Desktop, endpoint security patching and configuration (BigFix/JAMF), printer management and configuration, self service for Windows and macOS, and consulting on how to best utilize our services.
- Enterprise Storage and Backup solutions - offering two data storage options depending on what type of access is needed: Storage Area Network (SAN) and Network Attached Storage (NAS).
- IT Business Continuity - consultation and planning to deliver IT resiliency, business continuity solutions and services for campus applications administered by IST, both locally and at UC Berkeley's fail-over site, the San Diego Supercomputer Center (SDSC).
- Production Control Shared Services Center(link is external) - a UC multi-campus organization, the PCSSC is responsible for delivering workload automation, batch scheduling and file transfer services in IBM mainframe and distributed (Unix, Windows, Linux) platform environments.
Infrastructure Services Org Chart(link is external)
Our Telecommunications team designs, installs, and operates the campus voice and data network systems including wired data ports, Wi-Fi, desk phones, and cellular service. The group determines standards and best practices for telephony and network infrastructure development, promotes compatible standards, and best practices across campus IT infrastructure groups. Telecom services include:
- Design and Project Management - consultation on IST Standards and project management for new building infrastructure projects.
- Network Operations and Services - network connectivity, Wi-Fi, hostmaster services, remote VPN, and other services in support of departmental networking needs.
- Voice Operations, Products and Services - providing analog and digital voice services, voicemail, cellular (wireless) services, and related products.
- Applies professional project management concepts; and is able to apply IT and project management policies and procedures in managing complex assignments.
- Strong understanding of resource and time management.
- Knowledge of MS Project and the use of Gantt charts.
- Assists the DPM team in the updating and maintenance of the campus IST Telecommunication Standards.
- Implements the project management process in support of the campus' products and services involving departmental or cross-functional teams focused on the delivery of new or existing products.
- Responsible for ensuring that projects are documented and fully outlined (including: project description, stakeholders, meeting notes, associated ServiceNow requests, etc.) in the ServiceNow project management module.
- Responsible for ensuring that all project schedules, plans, review comments and any other project-related documents are properly archived in our Google Drive repository.
- Responsible for ensuring that RITM's (Requested Items) and Tasks are properly opened and assigned in ServiceNow.
- Works with SNE's (Senior Network Engineer) to ensure that network designs are being completed and approved for incorporation in the project.
- Must be proficient in MS Word, MS Excel, MS Project, Visio, and other internal programs such as ServiceNow.
- Very strong knowledge of and experience working on telecommunications infrastructure within buildings. This includes TR's (Telecommunication Rooms), pathway and copper and fiber cabling.
- Very strong knowledge of and experience with Outside Plant (including trenching, duct and MH design, fiber and high-count Telco cable).
- Assembles and directs moderate to large project team, designs project plan, schedules and may monitor budget/spending (people and dollars).
- Works with IST units such as: Premise Wiring, Installation Services, Network Services and accounting to ensure that the voice and data components of installations are delivered in a timely and correct manner.
- Gathers requirements, builds specifications and works with accounting to award contracts.
- Monitors the project from initiation through delivery, including oversight of system integration, project and campus communications, interface with vendors and managing risk.
- Reviews construction plans from DD (Design Development) through SD (Schematic Design) to CD (Construction Design).
- Ensures that all work on a project is proceeding on schedule and within budget.
- Responsible for maintaining communication with customer on all aspects of the project.
- Organizes the interdepartmental activities ensuring completion of the project/product on schedule and within budget constraints.
- Works with Capital Projects, contractors, outside vendors, Facility Services, campus departments, and others.
- Schedules and documents project meetings.
- Creates and ensures that action items are completed Manages punch-walks.
- Implements the Request for Information (RFI)/Request for Proposal (RFP) process.
- Requires advanced communication, organization, and project management skills.
- Broad knowledge of IT-related initiatives and an understanding of impact to organization of such initiatives required.
- Requires knowledge of most aspects of computing and communications including hardware infrastructure, networking, voice, software applications, operations and disaster response.
- Requires ability to assess campus needs for information technology products and design services to meet those needs.
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Professional certification preferred. Active PMP (Project Management Professional) certification a plus, but not required. Active RCDD (Registered Communications Distribution Designer) certification a plus, but not required.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience up to $110,800.00.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a 12- month, full-time, 40-hours per week, Contract (temporary) position - eligible for full UC benefits.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=19141&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency