Custodian/Team Lead - Evening Shift
Category:: Facilities Management
Locations:: Pella, IA
Posted:: Jun 1, 2021
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Full-time Non-Exempt
Position ID:: 131664
About Central College:
Founded in 1853, Central College of Pella, Iowa, is a private, residential four-year liberal arts college known for its academic rigor and strength in global experiential learning, STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math), sustainability education, athletics success, and tradition, and leadership and service. Central continues to value its long-standing relationship with the Reformed Church in America that began in 1916. The college participates in NCAA Division III athletics and is a member of the American Rivers Conference. Central is an active part of the Greater Des Moines region and just two minutes from Lake Red Rock, Iowa's largest lake.
We are looking to hire an energetic team leader that is responsible for performing routine cleaning and minor maintenance in college buildings while overseeing the day-to-day duties of a custodial team.
Hours are from 2:30 pm - 11 pm, Monday-Friday.
Provide direction while working alongside an assigned team of custodians to perform routine cleaning of an assigned area of college facilities.
- Clean disinfect and replenish supplies in restrooms.
- Clean and disinfect all public areas.
- Vacuum carpet, furniture, and drapes. Remove carpet spots and extract carpet as needed with a carpet extractor.
- Mop or auto scrub (with the machine) all hard-surface floors. Strip refinish and burnish floors as needed.
- Clean windows, door glass, and mirrors. Clean walls and window blinds. Clean whiteboards.
- Dust and polish furniture, windowsills, doors, door frames, and all woodwork.
- Gather trash/recycling material and transport to collection locations, replace can liners.
- Operate, maintain, and keep custodial equipment clean.
- Change light bulbs, clean faucet/shower head aerators, and clean drains.
- Set up and arrange tables and chairs for meetings, etc.
- Deliver custodial equipment, supplies, and residential linens as needed. Wash, dry, and fold cleaning cloths, mop heads, etc.
- Shovel snow.
- Perform minor maintenance.
- Check exit and emergency lights to Insure they are working properly. Check fire extinguishers.
- Consistently demonstrate a positive attitude.
- Other duties as assigned by the Custodial Manager.
Responsible for managing the day-to-day duties of a custodial team.
- Collaborate with custodial supervisor to train, assign, and direct the custodial team.
- Organize work projects, including event setups in assigned buildings
- Make sure work is completed promptly
- Responsible for monthly inspection of an assigned work area to ensure college cleaning standards are maintained
- Report maintenance problems and submit work orders on behalf of the team
- In conjunction with the custodial supervisor, organize and plan summer cleaning schedules to coincide with campus events and maintenance schedules.
Supervise a custodial team.
- Participate in the hiring process and train new custodians
- Approve timesheets and vacation schedules; keep accurate personnel and attendance records
- Conduct individual annual performance reviews and handle disciplinary actions as required in conjunction with the custodial supervisor. Advise team members as needed.
- Ensure the duties of an absent custodian(s) are covered to the best of the remaining team's abilities. Communicate labor shortfalls to the custodial supervisor
- Monitor to ensure the team is incorporating safe work practices. Advise regarding the availability and use of personal protective equipment. Report any safety concerns to the custodial supervisor.
- Serve as a front-line communication link between the team and custodial supervisor, residence area coordinators, students, and other college personnel regarding events, maintenance issues, student issues, vandalism, etc.
Maintain supply inventory to ensure cleaning duties of the custodial team flow smoothly.
- Organize cleaning closets.
- Order, inventory & date supplies.
- Maintain accurate SDS books.
Shift Hours may vary, including evenings, weekends, and college closure periods.
High school diploma or equivalent. Must be able to read, write, add, subtract, and follow instructions.
- High school or GED required.
- Must be able to read, write, add, subtract, and follow instructions.
- Knowledge of cleaning methods and procedures; knowledge of materials, supplies, and equipment used in cleaning activities.
- Supervisory experience is desirable.
- Over twelve (12) months and up to including three (3) years of effective experience preferred.
Central College is an equal opportunity employer and a drug/tobacco free workplace. A post offer background check and pre-work physical will be conducted.
If you have questions about the application process please contact Human Resources at 641-628-5156 or [email protected]