Fiscal Technician - Purchasing
Job SummaryJOB SUMMARY: Perform a variety of complex functions associated with processing a variety of fiscal transactions for the Purchasing Department.Responsibilities
- Perform a variety of complex tasks associated with processing a variety of fiscal transactions. Handle multiple priorities and tasks simultaneously and make decisions independently according to established guidelines. Compile, review, match and compare data from a variety of financial records and documents, verify account information, determine accounting procedures to follow, code documents, enter into the computer system, and process according to established procedures.
- Analyze, inspect, examine, and correct (e.g. budget numbers, accounting distributions, fund codes, transfers, and expenditures) various fiscal documents to ensure completeness, and accuracy.
- Gather and compile financial/statistical information for various reports in accordance with established guidelines. Research and analyze discrepancies as required. Assist in design and generation of computerized or manual financial reports upon request. Review reports for completeness and accuracy. Reconcile monthly and annually to the general ledger.
- Troubleshoot, research and analyze discrepancies when required and assist in analyzing and correcting errors. Review information for compliance with regulations and internal policies.
- Serve as a resource to customers. To include training and providing information and assistance to external agencies, staff, faculty, and students that may require the interpretation of College policies and procedures. Compile reports to external agencies. Review information for compliance with rules and regulations from external regulatory agencies.
- Work with supervisor and computer services to develop and implement system-processing enhancements. Assist in analyzing and correcting system-processing errors. Update and maintain automated and manual files and records.
- Provide training for the Fiscal Assistant and help them in identifying and correcting processing errors. Provide work lead and direction as needed.
- May assist accountants in performing various tasks in support of the College’s accounting system.
- Perform other duties commensurate with the functions and level of the position to include participating in committee assignments and the recruitment and retention of students.
- Provide technical and administrative support to the purchasing/procurement department
- Review purchase requisitions, verifying accuracy
- Generate purchase orders
- Assist departments with selecting vendors and supplies
- Research alternative suppliers and materials
- Assist in the bid, RFP and quote processes
- Provide assistance, guidance and training to college staff regarding the clarification of purchasing policies and procedures and requisition entry
- Coordinate the procurement, delivery and installation of furniture for the district; maintain furniture standards
- Assist in managing the Purchasing/Travel card program
- Maintain vendor database
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Associates Degree & two (2) years of applicable experience -or- four (4) years of applicable experience in experience in lieu of educational requirement.
SALARY: Entry salary is $19.75 - $20.94 per hour. (dependent upon qualifications)
Open until filled. First review: June 15, 2021.
APPLICATION INFORMATION: The application packet should consist of:
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge and understanding of the general principles and practices of financial or fund accounting e.g. ledger/journal entries, fund encumbrances, budget/inventory control, preparation of standard/periodic financial reports and process the major functions of the College.
- Knowledge of Federal, State and local laws, rules and regulations pertaining to financial reports and records.
- Through knowledge of specific budget or account processes, policies and procedures concerning fiscal control and processing operations.
- Mathematical and record keeping skills necessary to proof a variety of financial transactions, verify accuracy, match against documentation, code to proper accounts, prepare necessary forms, post transactions, reconcile balances, and generate a variety of financial reports.
- Skill in the operation of computer accounting systems, word processing applications, spreadsheets, and database manipulation.
- Ability to work independently or as part of team to apply workflow processes to meet deadlines imposed by fiscal cycles.
- Skill in communicating both orally and in writing and in providing information and training to staff, students, or the public.
- Ability to analyze situations, develop solutions, and make independent decisions based on established guidelines.
- Strong interpersonal skill as applied to interaction with a culturally diverse population, college administrators, faculty, staff, students, and the public
Ability to work independently and as a member of a team in accomplishing tasks.