Job no: 496734
Position type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Enrollment - Admissions & Financial Aid
The Admissions Counselor is a member of the staff of the Office of Admissions and contributes to the overall recruitment efforts of Bucknell University. Responsibilities include representing Bucknell to a wide and diverse audience on and off campus, traveling several weeks each year, corresponding with prospective students and their families, and participating in the review and selection of Bucknell applicants. The Admissions Counselor reports to the Senior Associate Dean of Admissions, and works in collaboration with the Dean of Admissions and other Admissions team members.
All Admissions team members are expected to contribute to Bucknell’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. To learn more about admissions at Bucknell, please visit their website here.
Recruitment & Territory Management -
The Admissions Counselor will contribute to the overall recruitment efforts of the Office of Admissions at Bucknell University.
- Manage territory, including all recruiting and yield activities, within designated geographic areas. This entails admissions travel to participate in college fairs and high school visits, correspondence with a wide spectrum of constituencies including but not limited to students, parents, guidance counselors, and community-based organizations.
- Build, maintain, and strengthen a support network consisting of alumni, parents, and friends of the University within designated territories.
- Manage special interest group(s) to enhance the scope of recruitment to enroll and shape a diverse first-year class.
- Collaborate and partner with faculty, staff, and current students to recruit and yield prospective students.
- Review and evaluate applications from a highly competitive applicant pool.
- Assist in the daily operation of the office and serve as a Counselor of the Day, conducting group presentations and meeting individuals and families as needed.
- Contribute to the dialogue with secondary school officials on behalf of the University.
- Correspond with prospective students and their families. Involve alumni in the recruiting process.
- Conduct on-going prospect management with potential Bucknell applicants.
Other Professional Responsibilities -
- Assist with program and project needs as determined by the Senior Associate and Dean of Admissions.
- Remain knowledgeable, current, and responsive to changes in office protocol and procedure.
- Attend Admissions staff meetings and retreats as requested.
- Participate in professional development opportunities, conferences, and other activities, as requested and approved.
- Serve on other University committees, task forces, and advisory boards, as requested.
- Assume other duties as requested by the supervisor or Dean of Admissions.
- Bachelor's degree
- Knowledge of and appreciation for highly selective liberal arts institutions
- Valid U.S. driver's license
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality, work with sensitive issues, and exercise good judgment under pressure
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and tasks in an organized and efficient manner in an environment that requires one to be able to work effectively both independently and as a team member
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and computer skills
- Strong presentation skills
- Willingness to take initiative and be creative
Some evening and weekend work will be required, so the Admissions Counselor must be committed to working flexible hours to meet office needs.
- Previous experience in college admissions
- Experience with managing staff, student interns, student workers or volunteers
The ability to lift boxes weighing up to 30 lbs. is required.
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 50 majors and 60 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell’s 3,600 undergraduate and 100 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors.
Bucknell’s beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its students. Residential life is vibrant with about 150 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletic teams, a robust arts culture, and a strong student commitment to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Located in central Pennsylvania, Lewisburg features a variety of restaurants, beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), charming shops and boutiques, and the Barnes and Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. About 33,000 residents live in the region.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University’s main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s state capital. Bucknell is about three hours from New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living here is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell’s surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and many opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School is consistently ranked among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: 02 Jun 2021 Eastern Daylight Time