Category:: Administrative / Staff
Department:: 01-53-5335-Business Office
Locations:: Longmeadow, MA
Posted:: Jun 1, 2021
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Full-Time Salaried (Exempt)
Position ID:: 131637
About Bay Path University:
When Bay Path opened its doors to students in 1897, it had a very clear goal: to provide a practical, affordable, and career-oriented education to meet the needs of companies, organizations, and communities. From the beginning, Bay Path prided itself on being entrepreneurial, constantly pushing the boundaries of the academic experience to fit the student...to start them on the road of success. We still do.
Today, that spirit and philosophy is more important than ever in higher education. At Bay Path, it's not just the number and breadth of undergraduate and graduate programs that defines us-and we have many-but it is our ability to connect the classroom to learning to leadership to experience to career that is at the core of what we do best. We know the work that needs to be done.
Bay Path University, an independent and not-for-profit institution, was named Among Fastest Growing Baccalaureate Colleges by the Chronicle of Higher Education Almanac, and is a member of the Women's College Coalition. With a main campus in Longmeadow, MA and three satellite locations, (East Longmeadow, Sturbridge, Concord), Bay Path offers undergraduate, graduate (for women and men) degrees, and professional certificates.
We're committed to preparing our students to navigate a constantly changing world. Whether it is one of our innovative academic programs, groundbreaking online learning platform, or through our Women as Empowered Learners and Leaders initiative, we educate our students in ways that will help them to grow, learn to adapt, and always to flourish. Be part of the change.
We invite you to visit our website at www.baypath.edu where you can learn more about Bay Path University.
- Position Code: SRACT
- Job Type: Full Time
- Hours: 37.5 per week, Monday - Friday 8:30am to 5:00pm
- Exempt: Yes
- Location: Longmeadow, MA
The Senior Accountant is responsible for the accuracy of the general ledger, assisting with creating, entering and maintaining the budget in Jenzabar. The Senior Accountant assists with the development and creation of timely and accurate financial reporting, both external and internal. The Senior Accountant is responsible for the oversight of all procurement activities, and the supervision of the Purchasing Coordinator's procurement responsibilities, who also supports and reports to the Director of Facilities. The Senior Accountant addresses budgetary inquiries and reporting needs of departments, is responsible for developing financial reports using InfoMaker, and Excel. The Senior Accountant is responsible for the preparation of supporting audit schedules, and assists the Controller with a wide variety of budget, fiscal and audit tasks.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist in preparation of annual, monthly, and ad-hoc financial statements and reports.
- Review and approve the creation of new general ledger accounts.
- Prepare adjusting and closing entries.
- Enter and modify budget amounts in Jenzabar.
- Maintain and create budget user roles and securities.
- Responsible for annual update of the budget module.
- Maintain purchasing approval system.
- Maintain the credit card program. Review charges and supporting documentation received weekly from employees. Ensure compliance with purchasing policies and prepare entries to correctly allocate credit card charges to cost center budget lines. Reconciles credit card rebate received.
- Reconciles general ledger to Raiser's Edge with the Development department on a quarterly basis.
- Account for fixed assets and depreciation.
- Perform periodic review of processes/functions that generate financial transactions to ensure adherence to policies and procedures.
- Provide financial information requested for approved external surveys and reports.
- Create and analyze budget to actual reports for submission to management.
- Write and run reports that will assist in the preparation of the annual budget, financial statements, and other fiscal reports using tools such as InfoMaker, and Excel.
- Assist in the review and documentation of internal controls, business office and purchasing policies & procedures, and make recommendations for improvements.
- Assist in the calculation of the University's indirect cost rate.
- Review and make necessary corrections to the general ledger to ensure accuracy.
- Responsible for financial portion of the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) reporting.
- Manage the procurement staff and function of the University, including assisting with the development of requests for proposals and management of the bidding process, and approving requisitions.
- Supervise the maintenance of vendor files.
- Assist University employees with business travel arrangements and be the administrator of the third party travel management system.
- Serve as backup to the Staff Accountant.
- Maintain membership in various purchasing consortia including the Mass. Higher Education Consortium (MHEC).
- Assist with policy and procedure trainings for department heads, cost center directors, and their assistants.
- Assist in the preparation of forms: 990, 990T, Mass PC, Mass 990T.
- Complete special projects as directed by the Controller.
- Attend trainings as required.
- Minimum of Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field.
- Preferred minimum of 3 years in higher education accounting function.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Appropriate computer skills for accounting functions.
- Must have good working knowledge of accounting principles, auditing standards, fund accounting principles, and federal and state regulations.
- Ability to understand and apply applicable rules, regulations, policies, and principles.
- Must be able to apply technical knowledge in solving problems.
- Must have excellent organizational and analytical skills and be detail oriented.
- Strong accounting and interpersonal skills are essential.
- Ability to effectively manage staff in a professional and supportive manner.
- Demonstrated excellence in oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Should be committed to a culture of diversity, equity, respect and inclusion; demonstrated ability to build working relationships with people having a wide variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences different from ones' own.
- Ability to adhere to University policies and procedures.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion and within FERPA and HIPAA guidelines.
- All new employees must complete the FERPA, Anti-Harassment, and any other required online trainings within 15 days of employment.
- General knowledge of the University's mission, purpose and goals and the role this position plays in achieving those goals.
- Must adhere to University COVID-19 testing, symptom tracking and all other COVID protocols established by the University.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Bay Path University is a diverse community devoted to proactively nurturing a campus-wide culture that promotes and ensures equity, respect, inclusion and safety for all members regardless of race, color, national origin, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation and gender identity, socio-economic background, or physical ability. We are one University that opens our hearts and minds to conversations, to learning and to creating a community that is welcoming of all. Regardless of position, it is expected that each employee will embrace this commitment and demonstrate an attitude of respect toward and acceptance of all members of our community.
Applicants for this position should attach a cover letter, resume, the contact information for four (4) professional, work related references and any other relevant information pertaining to this position and your candidacy. Please apply online. Faxes and emails will not be accepted.
Bay Path University is dedicated to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty committed to teaching and learning in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from minorities, women and all underrepresented backgrounds. An Equal Opportunity Employer, Bay Path University is committed to fostering diversity in its student body, faculty, and staff.
Bay Path University is a smoke and tobacco-free community.
All offers of employment are contingent on satisfactory background checking.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), if you have a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a position please email us at [email protected] or call 413-565-1168.