Open Society University Network (OSUN)Educational TechnologistEmployer Website: https://apply.interfolio.com/88518
The Bard College Institute for Writing and Thinking (IWT) and Master of Arts in Teaching Program (MAT) seek an educational technologist to administer and support online and blended courses and workshops. These courses and workshops will serve IWT and MAT’s programs at Bard College as well as their work within the Open Society University Network (OSUN), a new global network of educational institutions that promotes civic engagement on behalf of open societies and expands access to higher education for underserved communities.
Bard IWT provides professional development to high school teachers and college faculty around the world with workshops that focus on the role of collaborative, exploratory writing in teaching and learning. The Bard MAT is an intensive graduate teacher education program leading to a discipline-based master of arts in teaching degree and New York State Initial Teacher Certification. Both programs seek to foster writing-based teaching strategies and to equip teachers and teacher candidates with tools that enhance student-centered liberal arts pedagogies.
The educational technologist will play a pivotal, guiding role in MAT and IWT’s ambitious new global initiatives within the Open Society University Network. The position will work closely with the Director of IWT, the Dean of Teacher Education, and the Bard College Information Technology department to provide technical and pedagogical support for workshops and courses for faculty across the Network and to ensure that IWT and MAT’s Network projects make innovative and dynamic use of technological resources that promote best practices for student-centered, inquiry-driven, writing-rich teaching.
Bard College’s main campus is in Annandale-on-Hudson, N.Y., with 1,900 undergraduate students; the College also includes multiple graduate programs. The 1,000-acre campus sits along the Hudson River and offers the Fisher Performing Arts Center, and Hessel Museum of Art, and is the home of the Bard Prison Initiative, the largest college-degree-granting prison education program in the U.S. The Bard Network also includes several Bard High School Early Colleges across the country as well as international campuses and partnerships. The Bard Network is complex and demonstrates Bard’s priorities well in addition to the College’s emphasis on civic engagement.
Bard College is a private institution working in the public interest. Bard faculty and staff lead their students by example, building upon the existing network of boundary-breaking programs focused on rethinking who can and should be included in a liberal arts education.
- Design and maintain online platforms (including BrightSpace and WordPress) that will support MAT and IWT’s ongoing collaborations with faculty members across the Open Society University Network;
- Improve and expand Network MAT programs’ use of video and online space to share feedback to K-12 teacher candidates;
- Develop and refine blended versions of specific MAT courses and IWT workshops in BrightSpace, with an emphasis on adapting writing-to-learn and student-centered pedagogies to online and blended learning environments;
- Identify tools that will facilitate seminar-style, student-centered pedagogies and help promote community and engagement within an online space;
- Maintain an online repository of MAT and IWT teaching resources;
- Provide technical support with user authentication processes and directory management.
- A Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years of relevant experience are required for this position.
- Qualified candidates will be familiar with a liberal arts teaching environment and will have a deep understanding of the principles of student-centered teaching and learning practices and the ways in which technology can support active learning.
- Experience and expertise in implementing and maintaining learning management systems, such as BrightSpace, Google Workspace for Education, and Canvas, and extensive knowledge of digital learning tools is required.
- A good technical understanding of directory development and maintenance tools such as Salesforce and OneLogin is a strong asset.
- Informal or formal experience teaching at the college level, in secondary schools, or in professional development for secondary educators is also an asset.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, as well as skill in managing projects, coordinating across different groups, and navigating intersecting interests, are essential.
To Apply, please submit a cover letter, resume and the contact information for three references to Interfolio: http://apply.interfolio.com/88518
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Bard College is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from those who contribute to our diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, mental, or physical disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, familial status, veteran status, or genetic information.
Bard is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for all individuals in employment practices, services, programs, and activities.