ODL Technical Support Specialist (OPS)
Job Title: ODL Technical Support Specialist (OPS)
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Job ID: 49002
Office of Distance LearningEqual Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be accessed at: https://hr.fsu.edu/sites/g/files/upcbnu2186/files/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf.
- Learn the ins-and-outs of the Canvas learning management system.
- Assist clients (FSU faculty, staff, and students) with their Canvas course websites and related learning technologies such as Turnitin, Ally, and Kaltura.
- Work with clients over the phone, in-person, and over email, providing courteous, professional assistance.
- Research and resolve technical issues working in a team-based environment.
- Write tutorials, workarounds, and news entries for our Canvas knowledge base.
- Complete various projects as assigned in-between support calls and emails.
- Occasionally work nights and weekends when extended hours are offered.
- High school diploma or equivalency.
- Eagerness to learn new systems and skills.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Ability to apply critical thinking skills.
- Close attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize, organize, and complete multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Basic computer competency.
- Past job experience in a technical support role.One to two years of technical support experience.
- Working knowledge of HTML coding.
- Working knowledge of Canvas.
- Technical writing skills.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, latest Office Suite, and mobile systems such as Android and iOS.
These temporary OPS positions are offered by the Office of Distance Learning, located at the University Center C3500 in Doak Campbell Stadium. Learn more about our department at https://distance.fsu.edu/. Learn more about Canvas support topics by visiting https://support.canvas.fsu.edu/home/.
Please note: We will contact qualified applicants about scheduling interviews.University Information
One of the nation's elite research universities, Florida State University preserves, expands, and disseminates knowledge in the sciences, technology, arts, humanities, and professions, while embracing a philosophy of learning strongly rooted in the traditions of the liberal arts and critical thinking. Founded in 1851, Florida State University is the oldest continuous site of higher education in Florida. FSU is a community steeped in tradition that fosters research, encourages creativity, and embraces diversity. At FSU, there’s the excitement of being part of a vibrant academic and professional community, surrounded by people whose ideas are shaping tomorrow’s news!
Learn more about our university and campuses.
Introductory rate: $12/hour
After six months: $13/hour
This is an OPS/temporary Job.Schedule
Hours per week: 30 to 40 hours/week
Office hours: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, Monday - FridayHow To Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history up to ten years, and education details even if attaching a resume.
OPS employees are covered under the Affordable Care Act. OPS employees who meet certain criteria will be offered affordable health care coverage. For more information on the Affordable Care Act, please visit the Benefits website and click on Employee Insurance Eligibility.Tobacco Free Campus
Effective January 1, 2014, tobacco use, including simulated tobacco use, is prohibited on property, interior and exterior, owned or managed by Florida State University. This policy applies to all Florida State University students, employees, consultants, contractors, visitors, and external individuals.