Unix/Linux Systems Administrator | Information Technologist II
Job descriptionJob no: 710908
Work type: Support Staff
Pay Grade: 13
Major Administrative Unit / College: College Of Engineering
Department: Div Of Engineering Computing Services 10016133
Sub Area: AP- Professionals
Salary: Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Administrative Professionals- AP, Information Technology, Union
Unix/Linux Systems AdministratorPosition Summary
The Division of Engineering Computing Services (DECS) is seeking to employ an experienced Unix/Linux Systems Administrator to join our team. DECS provides information technology services and support for the faculty, staff, students and guests of the College of Engineering. This person will be expected to provide varying degrees of IT related research, development, engineering, administration, maintenance, and support to the College of Engineering infrastructure and affiliated academic programs. A successful candidate for this position will be self-motivated, detail-oriented, organized, and capable of daily professional interaction and collaboration with a diverse population of professionals, including a team of peers and end-users (faculty, staff, students).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Evaluate system and hardware requirements for varying levels of computing.
- Install, configure, maintain, and decommission physical and virtual devices.
- Construct and distribute software stacks (operating systems, libraries, and applications).
- Research, evaluate, launch and monitor new and innovative technologies to enhance and advance the research and academic goals of engineering supported facilities.
- Design, implement, and maintain virtualization and container platform clusters; with a focus on stability, high-availability, fault tolerance, and security.
- Handle escalated issues and provide advanced support to resolve complex technical issues for end-users and administrators.
- Ensure consistent documentation of all infrastructure systems and procedures.
- Develop tools (scripts/programs) for system maintenance and monitoring activities and automation.
- Improve upon and create automated setup of systems.
- Seek and act on new threat or vulnerability information.
- Perform root cause analysis and determine cause of problems to develop specific solution to an issue.
- Manage and oversee data and accounts, and control/monitor access: including disk, memory, services, and processes.
- Project management including budget analysis, purchasing, and implementation.
- Seek out opportunities for continuous learning and personal growth of skills related to this position.
- Participate in continuous cross-training to provide full serviceability of resources.
The job requires: knowledge equivalent to that which is normally acquired by completing a four-year college degree program in Information Systems, or related discipline; three to five years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in an information technology area related to the duties to be performed; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.Desired Qualifications
Minimum three years of experience as a Unix/Linux Systems Administrator, with demonstrated knowledge to use appropriate technology and tools to perform day-to-day administrative tasks.
Experience in the following products, concepts, and technologies: Linux operating systems (CentOS, RedHat, Ubuntu), JupyterHub, XenServer, VMWare, CPU compute, GPU compute, GIT, system and end-user databases (Postgresql/Mysql), Java web app servers, HTTP servers, programming and scripting languages (Perl, C, C++, Python, PHP, shell).Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.Required Application Materials
Resume and cover letter.Work Hours
STANDARD 8-5Bidding eligibility ends 6/8/2021, at 11:55 PM
Advertised: Jun 2, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Jun 15, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time